Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bearsforme_22  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:02:11 AM(UTC)
bearsforme_22

Groups: Registered

I have Maytag Electric dryer model# MEDC400VWO. The dryer runs for approx 10 mins and quits. I have cleaned and checked the dryer vent. checked the breaker. replaced the door switch. then turned the breaker off and back on again. dryer worked again for 10 min approx and quit again. My brother checked for continuity and could not find anything wrong. He notes the dryer did heat up quickly and very hot, so hot he could hardly touch the drum. he was surprised the belt could take that much heat. I don't want to call a repair man due to my limited budget. Do you have any ideas as to what it could be?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:59:21 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bearsforme_22 Go to Quoted Post
I have Maytag Electric dryer model# MEDC400VWO. The dryer runs for approx 10 mins and quits. I have cleaned and checked the dryer vent. checked the breaker. replaced the door switch. then turned the breaker off and back on again. dryer worked again for 10 min approx and quit again. My brother checked for continuity and could not find anything wrong. He notes the dryer did heat up quickly and very hot, so hot he could hardly touch the drum. he was surprised the belt could take that much heat. I don't want to call a repair man due to my limited budget. Do you have any ideas as to what it could be?

Bearsforme,
How long do you have to wait, before the dryer will start again ? You may have lint and debris built up on the motor, causing it to overheat and open the motor overload.A low voltage issue could create the same scenario. As for the heat, you may have a borderline vent size or length, but the issue isn't an overheat at theis time, the fuses would "open" and you wouldn't be able to re start the dryer, until it was replaced. The basic exhaust temperature should average 155 dgrs.F. if the dryer is operating and cycling properly.
Good Luck and Thanks,
:) :) :)
twr63  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:21:50 AM(UTC)
twr63

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Bearsforme,
How long do you have to wait, before the dryer will start again ? You may have lint and debris built up on the motor, causing it to overheat and open the motor overload.A low voltage issue could create the same scenario. As for the heat, you may have a borderline vent size or length, but the issue isn't an overheat at theis time, the fuses would "open" and you wouldn't be able to re start the dryer, until it was replaced. The basic exhaust temperature should average 155 dgrs.F. if the dryer is operating and cycling properly.
Good Luck and Thanks,
:) :) :)

I have cleaned the lint from inside the dryer and the vent. Is there another step? Thanks!
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:25:34 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: twr63 Go to Quoted Post
I have cleaned the lint from inside the dryer and the vent. Is there another step? Thanks!

Twr, If everything is cleaned out, and tthe dryer is back together, then it's time to run the machine.
You'll need to be near by, so you can tell if the dryer shuts down during the cycle, and note how long it took to shut down, and how long it took before it would start again.
As previously mentioned, the thermal fuses( one on the motor circuit and one on the heater circuit) are "one shot" fuses, and if either "opens" then the dryer won't start and run or the dryer won't heat, until it's replaced.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply