Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<1011121314>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rkpatt  
#111 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2008 2:20:25 PM(UTC)
rkpatt

Groups: Registered

See the link below for the schematic . Those wiring pigtals to the defrost heater are fused ( glass fuse in heat shrink tubing) . One fuse was blown . I suspect that somehow that the defrost thermostat was intermittently shorting to ground . I soldered in an inline fuse holder and replaced the defrost thermostat . Everything is working now .

Link to schematic - (click on it to enlarge)

http://i33.photobucket.c...frigeratorschematic1.jpg

However, my wife had given up and went looking at new refrigerators over the weekend (while this one was down ) and I might have to buy a new one anyway . She wants the LG French door model w/o the door ice and water . Is LG okay ? My local parts house tells me parts have to come directly from LG. But it really is a purchase that we do not need to make . :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
rkpatt,

I do not have the wiring diagram for your refrigerator. If you can post it, it might help to better understand your problem. I never seen a fused defrost circuit.

Gene.
rkpatt attached the following image(s):
refrigeratorschematic1small.jpg
Gene  
#112 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2008 8:08:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
rkpatt,

Thank you for the diagram. I found that the new defrost heater is coming with both fusible links as an assembly and it's much better to replace the whole assembly if you are going to use this fridge.

About LG French doors refrigerator: as far as I know there was a lot of problems with the control boards for all LG refrigerators (due to wrong design, not poor quality) and I'm not sure if LG fixed it. Also I do not think a bottom mounted freezer is convenient to use.

If your old GE fridge is in good shape I do not see why to through it away. You can fix it (new defrost heater and defrost thermostat) for less than $80 and hopefully it will last a few more years.

- The part number for the defrost heater assembly is AP2071485

- The part number for the defrost thermostat is AP2071242

Gene.
rkpatt  
#113 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:40:58 AM(UTC)
rkpatt

I agree on fixing it for little cost (thats why I kept going with this and fixed it ) and waiting until there is a catastrophic failure or major kichen remodel , now to convince my wife .

Your comments about the potential probelm areas with LG are extremely helpful. BTW, how much do those ("newfangled") control boards for various brands cost ?

Thanks
mark822  
#114 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:09:10 PM(UTC)
mark822

I have read through many of the posts, and most seem to be encountering faulty defrost mechanisms. I am almost certain that is not my problem, so maybe you can shed some light on it.

The model is GE GTS18FBRERWW

The Freezer unit (until now) has been cold but the frig is warm and virtually no air is circulating through the fan area. I can only feel the slightest of cold air seeping down from the vent at the top of the frig unit.

I left the unit unplugged for 2 days, then sarted it back up today. The freezer got cold very quickly, the frig stayed warm. Then soon after the unit cycled off, the freezer compartment was warm too. Could a bad damper be causing both problems?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Mark
Gene  
#115 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:36:25 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Mark,

You have to wait at least 24 hours after you plugged the refrigerator back to see the real picture.

After that if you can measure the temperature in both compartments and post the results, it might help to better diagnose the problem.

Gene.
rkpatt  
#116 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:50:09 AM(UTC)
rkpatt

One more question on my GE from a few posts up . I put everything back together (new defrost T-stat and defrost timer ) and tested the defrost system . I then put the shelf back in and plugged in and mounted the icemaker . I in the plugged the icemaker did not fill . Should it fill or do I have to wait for deforst cycle or something . What do I need to check . Where do I find a wiring diagram of the icemaker (plug) . - Thanks
Gene  
#117 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2008 2:40:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

rkpatt,

The ice maker a thermostat inside and you have to wait a few hours until the ice maker cools down.

What kind of ice maker is in your fridge? Old style with the shut off arm on the left side or a newer electronic ice maker with the green LED?

Gene.
rkpatt  
#118 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 5:54:35 AM(UTC)
rkpatt

Thanks for the explanation . After several hours it started working normally .

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
rkpatt,

The ice maker a thermostat inside and you have to wait a few hours until the ice maker cools down.

What kind of ice maker is in your fridge? Old style with the shut off arm on the left side or a newer electronic ice maker with the green LED?

Gene.
trojans  
#119 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 2:12:45 PM(UTC)
trojans

appear to have faulty defrost system. what can I do? Thank you
Gene  
#120 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 4:06:33 PM(UTC)
Gene

trojans,

Remove the rear cover in the freezer and check the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat for continuity. The defrost thermostat should be cold at the test time.

The defrost heater

UserPostedImage

The defrost thermostat

UserPostedImage

If there is nothing wrong then the control board has to be replaced.

- The part number for the control board is AP4318990

- The part number for the defrost heater is AP3502547

- The part number for the defrost thermostat is AP3475238

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply