Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Feanux  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:42:28 PM(UTC)
Feanux

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone, just looking for some help with a GE mini fridge I had picked up from the girlfriends work; it stopped getting cold so they decided to trash it, I offered to take it to see what I could do with it.

And that's where my lack of knowledge comes in, and I ask the all knowing for help :p.

The model # is ax4dnybwh, its the "Y series" I believe.

I know it's kind of vague but if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Feanux
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:46:48 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Turn it on and see if the compressor is running or not. If the compressor will not run there are two things that will most likely cause this, the start relay and the cold control. If the compressor tries to runs and then clicks off the start relay is most likely bad. If you don’t hear any noise the cold control is most likely the problem.

If the compressor runs but it doesn’t get cold you got a sealed system problem.

If the compressor runs and it seems to cool it may have just need defrosting.

Refrigerator repair guide
Feanux  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:03:38 PM(UTC)
Feanux

When I turn it on, the compressor does kick on and it sounds like water trickling, but it just doesn't get cold. So according to your post, it's a sealed system problem.
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 5:14:28 AM(UTC)
applianceman

Let it run a while to be sure but that is what I would say. Repairing a sealed system problem would be to costly for that small refrigerator.
jleonard711  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 3:00:02 PM(UTC)
jleonard711

I know this thread is a few months old, but I'm having the exact same problem with my G.E. mini fridge. The other day I noticed that the fridge in my office was making clicking noises, so I opened it up and found that it was losing cold and everything in the freezer was melting. By the end of the day it was not cold at all any more. I unplugged it overnight and then plugged it back in the next day, thinking that might help, but it doesn't sound like the compressor is turning on at all. It makes a clicking sound ever few minutes and the compressor gets warm if I leave it plugged in for a while, but the compressor never fires up. Would this be a faulty compressor? Or could it mabe just be the compressor start relay? Is there any way I can test the compressor by bypassing the start relay?
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 5:54:20 PM(UTC)
applianceman

It sounds like the start relay is bad. I don’t recommend trying to by-pass the start relay. Unplug it and remove the cover off the side of the compressor. Once done you should see the start relay (it will be to black/brown device plugged into the two bottom compressor contacts). Pull the start relay off and shake it, if it rattles it is bad. If it doesn’t you can be reasonably sure it is ok.

A bad compressor can cause the relay to go bad. But the best way to know for sure is to replace the relay. If the relay doesn’t repair it, the compressor is bad.

I assume since it is a mini it doesn’t have a fan by the compressor but if it does make sure it will run.

Refrigerator repair guide
thepirate  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:13:05 PM(UTC)
thepirate

Mini refrigerators don't warrant fixing unless it's a quick process. Check the compressor and anything that's an easy fix. If it's more difficult then that, it's probably not worth the cost price wise.
trader55  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:57:49 PM(UTC)
trader55

I have a GE mini fridge and when I plug it in nothing happens. No power....no sound...nothing.
Is there a reset switch or something I can test that is fairly simple in order to see if I can get this fridge to power on.

I get no compressor noise or nothing. If anyone can help and give me some suggestions I'd appreciate it. I'm pretty mechanical and pretty cheap so I'm willing to take this apart if necessary.
thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply