Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Doityourself1970  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 1:19:48 PM(UTC)
Doityourself1970

Groups: Registered

My GE Heater element AP3183311 failed and I replaced it. The new one appears to have overheated and has melted the plastic ends that hold it in place along with the plastic trim on the cover panel. Is This a Defrost Thermostat problem or a main board problem? How can I tell if it's the thermostat, the board or something else. Thank You,:)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 3:45:45 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

It's the job of the defrost thermostat to kill power to the heating element and prevent it from getting to hot.
applianceman  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 5:07:12 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Groups: Registered

You got to remember the defrost thermostat on these models is a 140 degree thermostat so if it trips there is something else wrong such as a bad evaporator thermisotor or main board.

What I would do if I suspected the heater stayed on too long is check the evaporator thermistor and if it is ok replace the main board.

However there is a service bulletin about the defrost cycle lasting too long that suggested to replace the main board and the thermisor. They also suggest removing the piece of foam gasket behind the evaporator cover at the top (right at the fan housing. (This foam isn’t on all models). They say that the foam will retain moisture freeze, then the thermisor will read temperature off the foam and keep the heater on too long.

GE Refrigerator Repair Guide
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply