Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jamesmcknight  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2009 6:56:05 PM(UTC)
Jamesmcknight

Groups: Registered

Hums when we press the start button. I have tested all swiches with for continuity. There is a tech sheet that gives some tests for certain electrical parts. This one test sayes to disconnect the black wire on the drawer tilt switch and the orange wire on the on/off switch, then connect those wires to meter/ohm and press button several times. Part #306. this particular test shows an open circuit even with switch closed or open. However when I take all wires off switch 306 it tests okay? I am wondering if this could be true?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

u2jimbo  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 1:40:37 PM(UTC)
u2jimbo

We jammed our ram onto the top of the trash container. I got it unstuck, ran the compactor and it worked fine in the empty condition. The first time we compacted real trash creating a load on the ram it worked. The next time we initiated the ram it stalled (ram did not move). The stall sounded like an deep electrical hum.

I disassembled the unit looking for broken teeth, jammed gears, etc. This required turning the unit upside down. I found no evidence of mechanical failure. I reassembled the unit and with it upside down added power while depressing the two interlock safety switches (tilt switches) and pushed in the plunger switch. The unit operated. I ran it through a couple of cycles with no problems. I turned the unit back on its feet and ran a cycle which worked but the second cycle stalled (hummed) again. I turned it upside down and it cycled. I turned it right side up and it would work for one or two cycles then stall.

In looking at the wiring diagram on the back of the unit I found that there are 7 switches. I'm guessing that the problem is with the 'directional switch'. In looking at a couple of appliance repair sites' parts lists, I also believe this switch is sold combined with the 'top limit switch' (a picture shows both switches connected to a common mounting plate where the entire unit is the repair part).

I'm not ready yet to confirm my suspicions or order parts - I want to find the location of that switch set and test it, but that is my best guess up to the moment.

u2jimbo
u2jimbo  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 4:33:20 PM(UTC)
u2jimbo

Well, I found the wiring harness, and a technical bulletin taped inside the machine frame. It provides a number of troubleshooting tips as well as a lot of wiring info and continuity tests for the various switches.

I ran them all. I found no problems (I am not as confident of my electrical troubleshooting as I am in my mechanical, however). I did take all connectors off their switches, make sure they were all making solid contact and reinstalled them.

When I connected power to the unit, inserted the drawer and lifted the foot pedal the system functioned. I ran three cycles with no stalls. The unit is empty, so a real test will happen later.

I feel like I didn't do anything to change the operating environment, so I am perplexed. If it ends up working under load, I will be a happy camper but I won't feel I have learned anything...
Jamesmcknight  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:58:14 AM(UTC)
Jamesmcknight

It's facinating that to see that you are having the almost identical problems that I have. Mine never jammed. It just humms when you hit the foot pedal. I did all the same checks and I removed the top plate and removed the reverse switch and checked it. The reverse/top limit switch may be suspect? It checks out okay but the contacts can altered/bent to alter the slide connectivity point for the top limit. I put mine back together and it works intermitantly. I just cross my fingers when I push the foot pedal up. Thanks and good luck