Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jttgb24  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2008 8:34:44 AM(UTC)
jttgb24

Groups: Registered

Replaced the timer two years ago. About a few months ago I noticed that the heat stayed on, even when I opened the door. Then seemed to stay on as long as the timer was not in an off position. They timer will also continue running. However, the dryer still worked.

Now suddenly the dryer won't start when I push the start button. The heat comes on and I can hear the timer whirling (obviously still not a good thing either)...just that now the dryer won't start at all.

Someone said maybe the switch on the motor had a short circuit? :mad: I was hoping it was just the "start button"...just my luck.

Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2008 6:41:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It could be two things causing such problem with the heater: the wires shorted somewhere or the shorted centrifugal switch on the motor.

Assuming the motor does not start any more, most likely the problem is the motor.

Remove the wires from the motor terminals 1M and 2M and check continuity across these terminals.

If it's closed, the motor has to be replaced.

If it's open, then check all wires and the coil in the heating element for shortage.

- The part number for the motor is AP3175311

- The part number for the heating element is AP3094254

- Here are the break down diagrams for the Whirlpool dryer Model LEL8858EQ1

Good luck.
Gene.
jttgb24  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2008 6:17:31 AM(UTC)
jttgb24

Gene,
Thanks for the prompt reply...that sort of confirms my friends thoughts.

I checked for any sign of obvious burnt or discolored wires and all that looked fine...

Let's hope it's the heater...but my luck is that it will be the motor.

As for the motor continuity...I had the diagrams that you included, but they don't show wiring. When you say motor terminals 1M and 2M...can you please bear with me and explain to an idiot which those two are? I see the plastic wiring connector that plugs into the motor. There are three wires that connect to this part of the switch. Two coming from the motor (an orange and a puple). The third one is a blue wire that just jumps from there to another part of the swich. At this part of the switch, an third wire (another blue) also come from the motor and connects here. My guess is that the 1M and 2M might be the end of the switch where these two blue wires connect?

Thanks again.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2008 9:57:48 AM(UTC)
Gene

Check the switch cover for the terminal marks.

Also according to the wiring diagram, it should be the red and the black wires on the plastic plug.

Gene.
jttgb24  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2008 10:53:47 AM(UTC)
jttgb24

Gene,
Thanks again for the prompt reply.
The white plastic end with the wires coming into it does not have any markings. The actual switch that it plugs into (black) does appear to have some numbers on it now that you mention it. The switch (black male end) is attached to the motor vertically...so reading from top to bottom, the numbers are 1, 5, 3, 4, 6, 2...the coresponding colored wires from the white plug that snaps into this are follows- red = 1, green = 5, whilte = 3, blue = 4, black = 6 and red = 2.

So back from an idots point of view...when you say 1M and 2M, I would think that means the 1 and the 2 markings on the switch (red & red)??? However, in your last response you mentioned that it should be a black and a red wire. Black is labeled with 6. Unless of course by 1M and 2M (dryer electicial talk) generally speaking that means position 1 and 2 (reading from bottom to top - left to right if you laid the switch flat)...which then would make that a red and black wire.

Sorry for being so lame...:eek:

Thanks again!
Gene  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2008 11:20:38 AM(UTC)
Gene

Looks like they are both red.

Gene.
jttgb24  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2008 11:27:20 AM(UTC)
jttgb24

Thanks again.

I'm getting a tester tomorrow and will try this out.

Hope they have motors in stock...which really stinks as you can see that the switch can be taking off with two screws.
jttgb24  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 4:09:09 AM(UTC)
jttgb24

Gene,

Sorry...I'm back. After checking all of the obvious wiring areas, pulling the heating element to inspect it and with the "heat" being turned up by my wife as to when the dryer would be fixed :) ...I ordered the suggested motor.

It arrived Friday. I figured I'd plugged it into the wiring harness to see what would happen, before tearning the old one out. So I turned the timer to a drying setting and the same thing happened...the heating element came on. I also tried to start-stop button just in case to see if at least the motor woud run...no go on that as well.

Any other ideas? Could it just be a bad push to start switch??? Or just replace the heating elemnt and sensors to see if that is it???

Thanks.
abbie  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 11:19:04 AM(UTC)
abbie

Groups: Senior Expert

jttgb24..Check the terminal fuse in back of the dryer It,s only a small white unit if i,am right i think there,s 2 blue wires going to it.Make sure there is continuity between the 2 connections when you remove the wires.Also it sounds like your element shorted to ground .When you checked the element did you notice if the wires that make up the element where touching the housing[the metal can] if so there,s the problem with the heating element staying on ..also check for continuity of the terminal hi-limit fuse on the upper part of the heater can....good luck
jttgb24  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 5:23:05 PM(UTC)
jttgb24

Abbie,

I know it’s been awhile since the last post, but I’ve been traveling a lot for work. I thought about what you said in your last post and took out the element again to re-inspect it. The first time I was an idiot and was just looking to see if it was literally touching the “metal can” like you suggested…but this time I noticed what obviously should have been just that…obvious. The coil was sagging and touching the crossbar…which OBVIOUSLY is attached to the metal can…dah! One twist of the coil off the crossbar and bingo, the problem of the heat automatically coming on when the timer is moved to an active position (even if wiring isn’t plugged into the motor switch) was fixed.

However, while one problem is fixed (well at least temporarily until I order a new element)…the motor will still not turn on. I do have the 110 coming to the plug and I’d assume can substantiate that since the dryer light comes on and the timer runs. So I guess my question now is if you think the “terminal fuse” or the “hi-limit” fuse would prevent the motor from turning on? I know the original diagnosis of what probably was wrong indicated the motor switch itself. However, once I fixed the issue with the element and the motor still wouldn’t turn on…I laid the new motor that I ordered next to the current one and attached the wiring harness…and that motor didn’t turn on either.

I’m guessing it’s not the push to start button…since I can actually feel it reset itself when I turn the timer.

Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply