Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gr0m1t  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2012 4:27:44 PM(UTC)
gr0m1t

Groups: Registered

I have a side by side Whirlpool Gold refrigerator. Over the last couple days, we noticed that the middle piece between the freezer and fridge was getting hot. But the fridge and freezer were still functioning. I did some research and found it's like dirty condenser coils.

I cleaned them as best I could, but no change. Then I realized that the fan that usually blows warm air out out from the bottom was not operating. But the compressor was still working (and was VERY hot). I unplugged the fridge and let the compressor cool down for a couple hours (assuming the fan was dead and it needed replacing).

But then I decided to plug it back in for a few hours (didn't want everything to melt). And when I did, I saw that the condenser fan kicked on for a few seconds, then stopped.

Does this mean that the fan is still functional and it may be problem with the control board? How easy/hard is that to replace myself?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

gr0m1t  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2012 4:47:17 PM(UTC)
gr0m1t

Oh also...whether or not I attempt this myself, should I leave the fridge unplugged while I wait the part/repairman to arrive? Or can I continue to plug it in for a few hours, then unplug it for a while to let the compressor cool down? (I don't have a regular fan that I can use. Though I may just go buy one if that would help.)

Thanks!
richappy  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 1:26:22 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You can buy a cheap fan at Wall Mart, just cool the compressor down with it.
Most probably a bad condenser fan motor AP4318657 If the motor has 115 volts printed on it, you can allways rig a cord for it and plug it in the wall outlet to confirm, or verify it's getting 115 volts to it.
gr0m1t  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:32:11 AM(UTC)
gr0m1t

Ok, so interesting development. I was getting ready to pull out the fan to test it, but when I went behind the fridge, the fan was working again.

And it kept working for a few hours. But I just checked on it again, and it had stopped. I bought a floor fan which is keeping the compressor from overheating.

But what should I try? Does this sound like a bad motor or a bad control board? What is the best way to find out?

I have a multimeter, but am not sure of the best way to test the fan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
richappy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:35:49 AM(UTC)
richappy

If you get 115 volts to it, replace the fan motor. These are difficult to test, only applying 115 volts will determine status.
gr0m1t  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:01:09 AM(UTC)
gr0m1t

Ok, I got back there and yes, when the compressor is running, the fan is getting 115V.

My concern is that I saw the fan work, and then not work. So I may have just tested the voltage during one of the times that it worked. I suppose I just have to replace the fan and go from there.

~Sigh~

I just hope this doesn't become a long line of buying lots of parts in order to find out I only needed to buy one thing.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:15:51 AM(UTC)
richappy

Usually the condenser motor gets voltage when the compressor gets voltage. Compressor didn't stop, so it must be a bad condenser motor.
gr0m1t  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:16:17 AM(UTC)
gr0m1t

Ah, ok good to know. Thanks! Well the new condenser fan kit should be arriving tomorrow so I'll find out for sure then.
gr0m1t  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2012 9:35:37 AM(UTC)
gr0m1t

Well, that didn't do it. It turns out that 115V does not go to the fan every time the compressor runs.

So what should I try next...inverter box or control board?
richappy  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2012 9:59:37 AM(UTC)
richappy

The power to the compressor comes from the inverter board and that board probably has the condenser motor driver, replace the inverter board next to the compressor AP4411082