Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Daniel J  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:07:32 AM(UTC)
Daniel J

Groups: Registered

The motor sounded like it was straining for a couple of loads and now the drum is basically seized up, I can barely turn it by hand.

I assume this is either a problem with the motor, or the rollers/idler pulley seized up. But maybe it's something else. Is there any way to know before disassembling it? Otherwise please just let me know what to check for when I take it apart.

If it's the rollers or idler pulley then I'll just order them both along with a belt and do it all at once. Is there anything else that should be be replaced at the same time? I see some dryers have "front glides" but I don't see them in my model's parts list, plus I don't know if they're as much of a routine maintenance item as the belt, rollers and idler pulley.

EDIT: This is actually a Kenmore model number, made by Whirlpool of course.

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 11:56:38 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Daniel,

It's impossible to diagnose it without disassembling. The parts you have to check are: the motor, the idler pulley, the drum support rollers and the blower fan wheel. It is a good idea to clean the dryer while it is disassembled.

Before you order any parts, I would recommend to compare Sears and APP prices. You would be surprised.

- The motor Part number: AP3094245
Part number: AP3094245

- The idler pulley Part number: AP2911909
Part number: AP2911909

- The belt Part number: AP2946843
Part number: AP2946843

- The drum support rollers (kit of 2) Part number: AP3098345
Part number: AP3098345

Gene.
Daniel J  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:18:42 AM(UTC)
Daniel J

Groups: Registered

Thanks Gene, I always appreciate the advice I get on this forum which is why I've been a repeat customer at APP.

Unfortunately it turns out I need all of the above including the motor, plus the rear drum felt seal. Not worth it in this case for a 15+ year-old machine that's showing its age in other areas too. I'm sure I'll be back next time though. Cheers.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply