Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
John821  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:24:19 AM(UTC)
John821

Groups: Registered

I think this is a 14 cu. ft refrigerator (top freezer) that I've had for about 10 years. Recently I noticed ice on the bottom shelf of the frige. I thought maybe a water bottle leaked but after a closer look there's a white piece with slots (housing control?) behind the temp control and water is dripping from it. Any ideas what is causing this dripping?
Thanks John
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:03:22 PM(UTC)
applianceman

That model number didn’t seem to be correct but I would say that the drain is stopped up. Remove the evaporator cover (cover off the back of the freezer) once off you should see evaporator coils. Under the coils you there should be a drain hole. If the drain is stopped up the drain will be covered with ice. Remove the ice and unstop the drain by forcing hot water down the drain with a turkey baser or any squirt bottle.

Note if your model had drain trap on the back that is probably where it is stopped up at and you can just unstop it there. So you won’t have to take the evaporator cover off just take the trap off and unstop it at the water hose.

In any case once the drain is unstopped mix baking soda with water then pour it down the drain to prevent the drain from stopping up again anytime soon.
Refrigerator Leaking Repair Guide
John821  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2009 7:39:14 AM(UTC)
John821

Thanks for the reply. I had unplugged the refrigerator the other night and cleaned underneath it, it was really dirty. I didn't believe that was the problem but I figured it wouldn't hurt. Anyway, maybe the blockage melted enough while it was unplugged. After a few hours I checked it and there were drips. I wiped them off and it hasn't dripped since. If it does it again I'll check the drain as you suggested. Thanks again for your help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply