Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jerfrank  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 8:49:31 AM(UTC)
jerfrank

Groups: Registered

Dryer won't turn on when button is pushed. Cord is plugged in and light goes on when door is opened. Can it be as simple as needing just a new switch. Since it is a pull out, plug in should I just purchase a new switch for about $22 and try it and if that doesn't work, then I can call a service person. All comments are greatly appreciated since I'm not a do it yourselfer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 10:09:41 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

First, go to the breaker and flip it off and on a couple times. Sometimes only half or the breaker will trip, while the other half remains live. Dryer circuits are split between these halves, so you'll see parts of the dryer work when others don't. If this doesn't solve your problem, we may need to ask a series of questions to help diagnose it.
jerfrank  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 10:36:58 AM(UTC)
jerfrank

Thanks for the prompt reply. I flipped the breaker several times and tried the dryer again. No response.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 3:36:34 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

You'll need a meter to test the switches. Do you have one? If not, and you still want to troubleshoot, you can get a fairly decent multi-meter at your favorite hardware or electronics store. It doesn't have to be anything fancy; but it needs to be able to safely read up to 600 Volts AC. First thing to check is the outlet. Is it a 3-conductor, or a modern 4- conductor cord?
jerfrank  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:50:44 PM(UTC)
jerfrank

Thanks for your help. I don't have a meter and I'm not going to do any trouble shooting. I've just called my appliance repair guy. Again, thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply