Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene51  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:27:38 AM(UTC)
Gene51

Groups: Registered

Today when I filled the washer to do a medium load, it was set to fill with warm water (default). However the water was actually hot and it would not start the rinse cycle. I suspect that the water inlet valve, which has never been replaced on this old machine, has malfunctioned. Oddly, when I try to manually start the rinse or if I change from warm to cold water, you hear the water running, but the bin is not filling up. Not sure where the water is going. It seems as if there is no cold water going in, and when it is set to warm, which should be a mix, only hot water is going in. If it is the water inlet valve, are there other parts that could be involved and might in need of replacement?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:10:58 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I suspect what is happening is that your cold water is simply not functioning. For this reason when you select warm, you only get the hot portion. It will not start the rinse cycle because the rinse is cold water, and cold water is not coming in. The rinse will only start after the cold water has entered to the correct level.

You need to check both the cold water hose and the inlet valve screen for obstruction.

If there is not an obstruction, then the likely problem is in your valve assembly, which will have to be replaced, since the cold water valve isnot opening as it should. Before doing that you can check to see that 120 volts are getting to the cold water solenoid when it should be. If it is, replace the valve assembly.

I do not know what the sound is that you hear when only cold water is selected, but I cannot beleive it is cold water running as you would either see it in the machine, or running all over the floor.

Anyway, check it out and let us know what you find out. To get your water inlet valve assembly, post the full model number and check with the APP parts section.

Good luck.
Gene51  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:22:15 PM(UTC)
Gene51

sidfink43

It seems that the solenoid is getting current, but not opening. At least not completely - it does seem as if a trickle of water is getting through. The source water is fine, as were the screens in the water valve. So I ordered a valve and will install it tomorrow - keeping my fingers crossed that this is the problem. I did have the foresight of installing this washer/dryer in the bathroom, and under it I also installed a floor drain - just in case! I do hear water running, but can't figure out where its going - its not going into the drain, and its just a trickle into the tub. I'll post my results tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for your help.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:36:11 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Sounds like you have done a complete job of diagnosis. I think the new valve will solve your problem nicely.

Let us know what happens, thanks
Gene51  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 2:17:16 PM(UTC)
Gene51

Sidfink43, the water valve was intermittent - not clogged, just flaky. Replacing it made all the problems go away. It was an easy replacement, but the $82 was a little hard. But not as hard as a new machine. Thanks for your help.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 3:22:25 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Nice going Gene, glad you got it fixed. I know it was pricey, but it would have been a $150.00+ service call, and take a look at new machines when you get a chance.

Thanks for updating us, it is very helpful!
Gene51  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:02:38 AM(UTC)
Gene51

Sidfink43, everything went well, did 5 loads of wash, and on the 6th load it filled, but stopped dead before agitating. I cannot access any of the front panel functions - will not respond to wash, rinse, spin, etc - the commands light up, but do not execute. I am certain its a disconnected wire somewhere but I don't know where to begin looking. Do you have any suggestions?
magician59  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:36:46 AM(UTC)
magician59

If memory serves, these machines have touchy lid switches. Try applying some pressure in the closing direction and select a spin cycle. If it spins, the lid switch is suspect. May just need a simple adjustment, or a complete replacement. It's an assembly, so it'll be pretty costly.
Gene51  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:38:10 AM(UTC)
Gene51

Magician59, yes, the lid switches are touchy but it wasn't that. I adjusted that a while back when it gave me trouble. It was the main control harness plug - I reseated it and it is working fine. With over 800 parts in this machine, who would have thought that it would be a $5 connector to make the machine drop dead. I used to fix computers, back in the day when you had to use a breakout box to wire up serial printer cables - and it was ALWAYS the cable that did you in. Thanks guys - APP is an indispensable resource - keep up the great work!
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:19:10 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Again, glad you got it fixed and thanks for updating us on the cable; I usually say check the connections as a last resort, now maybe I will say it as the first thing.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply