Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
totalamateur  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 8:39:51 AM(UTC)
totalamateur

Groups: Registered

Hi,

The water dispenser pad on my Kitchen Aid Side by Side Fridge has stopped working, its replacement part # is W10133606. I can order a new part for $85, but I want to know if the thing can just be repaired.

I've taken off the dispenser console, and disconnected the pad to inspect it for obvious problems, but I don't see any. The wires are intact and when I removed the rubber cover from the board, the board looked fine. I've tried di-electric grease on the rubber bumpers that must complete the circuit when the pad is pushed, but it hasn't helped. And I wiped the board clean. Also, I connected the ice pad to the water dispenser to confirm that the problem wasn't beyond the water pad itself and it did dispense water when pushed.

The water pad never worked great, it only responded on the bottom section and often required a finger push to get it going. But, I hate the idea of paying $85 for a $2 part. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Mark
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

totalamateur  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:11:46 AM(UTC)
totalamateur

Maybe some progress here.

I reconnected the pad's circuit board to the dispenser console and left off the rubber cover to test the board with a conductor (paper clip). It worked fine on many different locations on the board.

So, the rubber cover, specifically the little bumpers on the inside of the cover, are not completing the circuits on the board when pressed against it, i.e. when a glass pushes it against the board.

Again, I've tried di-electric grease on these bumpers, and tried it w/o grease, but that didn't help. So, any ideas on how to get the pad cover conducting again?

Mark
totalamateur  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 4:53:44 PM(UTC)
totalamateur

Fixed it.

Bought a $10 CircuitWriter Conductive Pen at Radio Shack. Used it to coat the pad's bumpers with conductive silver liquid. Let it dry and then presto the thing works like new. The bumpers old coating must have worn off or worn out after 2-3 years of use. Saved $80.

Hope this post helps thousands with the same problem. Nobody should pay Kitchen Aid/Whirlpool, etc. $90 to fix their poorly produced part. I imagine the original bumper coating was designed to last 1 day past the warranty expiration date.

Thanks, couldn't have done it without me.

M
jm_maclaren  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:44:25 AM(UTC)
jm_maclaren

I have the same issue. Can you share how you removed the rubber boot. I don't want to force and break mine
bbbarn  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 8:04:15 AM(UTC)
bbbarn

I have the same issue and would appreciate guidance as to how to remove the rubber cover on the actuator pad to clean and perhaps "re-write" the conductive contacts. The KitchenAid rep said "don't do it, you'll never get it back on and lined up" and recommended I replace the whole thing ($114/set, even though I only need to fix the water actuator pad) - naturally. Thx!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply