Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrJosh  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:02:48 AM(UTC)
MrJosh

Groups: Registered

I have not prior experience repairing washers. I have a GE S2100G2WW washer that is not spinning during the spin cycle. It is about 2 years old.

I watched it run with the front cover off and observed it agitate and pump water out. When it came to the spin cycle I saw the motor move for a split second and then not do anything. The pump continued to run but the washer did not spin.

From what I have read from different sources online it sounds like it may be the motor or the transmission. I am not sure though, and do not know how to determine what is the problem. I have read that motors can go bad in one direction and not the other. I have also read that one should try turning the transmission pulley by hand to check for resistance. When I turn the pulley it does move, but with a great deal of resistance.

I have priced the motor and transmission and they cost around $150-200 each. I paid $285 for the washer new. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tdma  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:38:42 AM(UTC)
tdma

probably the motor coupler. Pull the pump off with the hoses still attached.

Pull the motor.

You will see a 3 peice part called a coupler that attaches the motor to the trans.

Common failure, part has been redesigned with a steel collar.

Costs about 20 bucks.
MrJosh  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:31:12 AM(UTC)
MrJosh

As far as I can tell there is no such part as a motor coupler on my washer. The motor connects to the transmission pulley with a belt. The pulley connects to the transmission. The diagram & parts list off this website seems to show it pretty accuratley.

Replacement parts for GE S2100G2WW | AppliancePartsPros.com

Thanks.
tdma  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:34:08 AM(UTC)
tdma

soory, that that model was a direct drive
applianceman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:56:31 PM(UTC)
applianceman

The motor turns runs for a second after that does it hum as if it still has power but can’t turn or does it seem to loose power completely?

Generally speaking if the motor were bad it wouldn’t wash either. I am not saying it can’t be the motor but I wouldn’t suspect it right off.

Clothes Washer Repair Guide