Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
doverf  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 1:38:25 AM(UTC)
doverf

Groups: Registered

Let me start from the beginning....last Thursday night, put in a load for drying, alittle heavier than normal. Used standard normal dry cycle as usual. About 15 mins in I hear the dryer stop. Lights on the panel were still on. I opened the door (light came on) shut it tight to make sure it wasn't the door switch. Pressed the start button and just heard a click, sounded like a relay and it was coming from the top left corner of the dryer. Unplugged the dryer for about 10 min to see if it would reset. No luck did the same thing

Today, did a few searches on line with the same problem and the first thing to check was the thermal fuse. When I went to disconnect it, I noticed the left terminal was burnt. I looked around a found a dime that matched the burn marks. Looks like it shorted to the duct sheetmetal housing where the fuse installs to. Took it out and tested fuse, it was good. I reinstalled it and turned it on. Lights came on in the control panel. Pressed the start button and heard a POP come from the drive motor. Definitely a short, because it poped the house breaker. Also I can smell alittle smoke coming from that area.

Did that coin short on one of the thermal fuse terminals cause the motor to go bad??
What should I do next?
Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point.....
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 4:33:53 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi,

You could unplug the motor and try to start the dry to see if it still pops the house breaker.
doverf  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 10:28:55 AM(UTC)
doverf

I'll try it tonight, and will let u know. Thanks.
doverf  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 6:46:44 PM(UTC)
doverf

Hi,
I just unplugged the terminal from the motor and started the dryer. The house breaker did not pop. Got the normal click after holding the start button down. Also I watched the timer as it went down from 35 to 33 min. So does that mean the coin shorted the motor?? What should I do next?
Dover
ApplianceJunk  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 7:01:55 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Sure sounds like the motor is the problem to me, not sure how the coin would have shorted it out.

Maybe another technician will have some words of advice to add to this topic?
doverf  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:51:01 AM(UTC)
doverf

Originally Posted by: ApplianceJunk Go to Quoted Post
Sure sounds like the motor is the problem to me, not sure how the coin would have shorted it out.

Maybe another technician will have some words of advice to add to this topic?

Just tested the motor...
I got 2.1 ohm for the main & 2.0 for the start. My range said 2.4-3.6~3.8. Is the motor bad? can I still salvage it?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply