Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GeminiDreams  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 8:11:17 AM(UTC)
GeminiDreams

Groups: Registered

My dryer was working just fine. I had dried a load & then put in a 2nd load.

Went back to fold the clothes & they were still wet. Ran it another hour & still not drying.

Everything else is working fine, just no heat.

I tried the circuit breaker as "trouble shooting" suggested but not the problem...

Any suggetions? I'd like to try to repair/replace whatever is needed, but not sure what may be causing it or what to look for, if a replacement part is needed...

TIA
Gem
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:56:49 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Gemini

You are going to need a test meter to check this out.

First, plug in the dryer and make certain you are getting 120 volts to each side of the connection block. Sometimes you get only one side, which will allow the dryer to run but not heat.

If this checks out, unplug the dryer and take off the back. Test the thermal fuse, it is likely your problem. If it is not, test the other fuses/thermostats for continuity.

If they check out, test your heating element for continuity and resistance (10 to 20 ohms) and then look at it to make certain it is not shorted out or broken.

Very likely you will find your problem. Oh, and be sure to clean out the dryer well when you have the back off.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
GeminiDreams  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:21:52 PM(UTC)
GeminiDreams

Groups: Registered

Hi Sid... Thank you...

After looking into all that could cause a dryer to not heat, there were so many things it could have been.

Not having a tester, as well, just added to my problem....

So I wound up calling a repair guy in & it was my heating element. Set me back 163.00 :( but at least it's fixed now...

Thank you again, for your help :)

Gem
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:52:45 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well good glad you got it fixed. It is almost always one of those things I mentioned.

Testing those items is not has hard as it looks, and I hope you watched the repair tech so you can do it yourself if there is a next time (hopefully there will not be).

Anyway keep an eye on sales and you can probably pick up a really good meter for about $15.00 when they are on sale. It's a good tool to have around the house, and they have instructions with them.

Also thanks for updating us. Good luck with your repair.