Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cpfb  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:06:37 AM(UTC)
cpfb

Groups: Registered

I replaced the heating element a few (2-5) years ago and today..of all days...the oven will not heat up!! We turn it on and set it to 350 degrees and all it does is go up 5 to 10 degrees to 100 and sits there. I remember I had an F code when the heating element died. Can I safely assume the temp sensor is the culprit? I plan (not today) to pull out the stove and check the bake element for resistance like I did last time but should I check the temp sensor and if so, do I access it from the back of the oven after I pull off the door?

Thanks

CPFB
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:38:34 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
First thing is to check the circuit breakers. Your oven uses two paired breakers, if one of them is tripped, the element will not heat up. Try reseting (turning off and back on) both oven circuit breakers and see if that does the trick. I just noticed that yours is a slide in range with burners on top. If the top burners work OK, then the circuit breakers are fine.

Basically, your oven element needs 220 volts to work. The element has two terminals with a wire connected to each terminal (behind the oven wall). Each terminal gets 110 volts (hence the two 110 volt circuit breakers). If the element only gets 110 volts, it would still get a little warm but not red hot as it should be. Usually this is due to a tripped circuit breaker or there is a disconnect at one of the terminal wires (broken or burnt wire, damaged terminal, etc.). Make sure to cut the power off to the oven by shutting off both circuit breakers before attempting any repair or troubleshooting.

If there is no obvious damage to the wiring or the terminals at the oven element, check the two wires all the way up to the control board. Hopefully it's something as simple as a bad wire. You probably won't find any parts on a Thanksgiving day.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Happy Thanksgiving!
cpfb  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 10:49:50 AM(UTC)
cpfb

Thanks for your suggestions. I checked the breakers and the two are actually connected together. They were not tripped but I turned them off and back on with no results. I unplugged it all and tested both the baking element and the temp sensor and the baking element is done. It's only 3-4 years old but it's has no reading on a digital meter.

Gonna order one today so we will set for Christmas!!

Thanks for your great website and your help!
cpfb  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2011 3:13:12 PM(UTC)
cpfb

OK, I just wanted to make one more post to say, you guys are amazing and now have a customer for life! I ordered the part on Friday afternoon and got it to my door Saturday afternoon! It's installed and working 100%! I don't understand how a 4-5 year old baking element can die but I guess anything can happen!

Thanks for all your help and amazing shipping speed!

PS I wife tells me today that she remembers over the last few weeks that she noticed the element wasn't glowing on all parts of the rod. I guess it was just time!
Admin / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:36:58 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you for your kind words. It is pretty strange that an oven element would only last for 4-5 years. Keep in mind that, although the manufacturer warranty is only 90 days, we've got you covered for a full year - this goes for any part we sell.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply