Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joeg1  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 8:34:40 AM(UTC)
Joeg1

Groups: Registered

Our Kenmore Elite oven (model 79049073402) quit working. The control panel is showing no errors. It shows all is normal. The clock works; temperature input works; if I start a convection start the fans come on, etc. All indications are normal but it will not heat in any mode (bake, convection, broil) although the screen shows it is in each mode.
I have tested all accessable items for continuity; all OK. I have jumpered around the thermostats; no changes. The wiring diagragm shows a switch in the timer board that has to close to complete the circuits for any of the elements to work. I suspect that is the culprit but can't find the switch. I really hate to replace a $250+ timer unless that is the only option (if that is even the real failure).
I am familiar with wiring diagragms and electricla issues so am comfortable making any needed repairs but would really like to only buy what is needed.
Thanks for any help
joe
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joeg1  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 1:48:58 PM(UTC)
Joeg1

Anyone else have this issue?
denman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:27:52 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
see the attachment for a wiring diagram I got off the Sears parts website..

Looks like the switch (relay) you are referring to is K4 but the copy of the wiring I have is not very good so I cannot be sure.

Also it does not necessarily mean that the relay is toast it could be that the electronics on the board are not closing the relay.

If the cooling fan comes on then I doubt that this is the problem as it looks like this relay also powers the cooling fan relay.

I am assuming that you jumper-ed the safety thermostat for the elements.

Does the unit show it as being ready. If it does then it could be that the oven sensor is the problem and the unit thinks it is already hot so does not turn the elements on.

I cannot find any decent tech info on this unit so am just guessing.
denman attached the following image(s):
test1.jpg
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Joeg1  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:53:42 AM(UTC)
Joeg1

Thanks. I'm using the same diagragm. It's not very clear around the K4 switch, as you mentioned. The controls indicate all is Ok and ready. If I can figure out where the K4 switch is maybe I could make some progess. The relays "click" per normal operation. It's pretty frustrating. Sears doesn't have new timer boards, only "refurbished" ones so that indicates to me the board is rebuildable if I could only identify (and find a new one) the bad part!
What oven sensor are you referring to? I have jumpered the safety thermostat and regular thermosat with no result. Is there maybe another one I missed?
Thanks for the help
denman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:45:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for KENMORE 79049073402 by Kenmore Elite | AppliancePartsPros.com

I believe the one you want is AP2126993 Switch, Thermostat but am not 100% sure of this. If you click on it's picture a new page will open with more views. You will notice that there is a square red reset button on the back of it.
Yours may or may not have this reset.

I think it is attached to the back of the oven.
Sears will not provide AppliancePartsPros with parts breakdowns but if you go to the Sears parts site they are there. Take a look at the Body section, I think it is Item 119.

You will have to trace the wires to confirm this.
Also by tracing them you should be able to figure out which relay is the DLB relay on the control board, just follow the track on the board that goes from this thermostat. It should go directly to the DLB relay.

If you end up needing a board AppliancePartsPros may be able to give you a better price than Sears.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply