Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mpalmer1223  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2011 11:46:26 AM(UTC)
mpalmer1223

Groups: Registered

Hoping someone can help me! My Whirlpool washer has been making a God-awful loud banging noise during spin cycle ever since we relocated to a new house several months ago.

In the process of moving, I noticed that one of the "base pads" on which the tub assembly sits had fallen out of my washer. Through lots of googling, it seems like the missing pad may be the source of the banging noise.

I have found videos that walk you thru the pad replacement process at various do-it-yourself sites (I tried to link a specific helpful video here but it is apparently automatically removed appliancepartspros.com), and I have been able to follow most of it (I even purchased a spanner wrench and managed to remove the spanner nut from the agitator shaft).

However, I'm stuck at being able to remove the inner tub once the spanner is removed. In the video, it looks like it should just lift directly up at that point, but I'm here to tell you that on my model, I cannot get it to budge.

I've attached a picture of what the shaft (without spanner nut) and inner tub look like and would greatly appreciate any helpful hints on how to get the inner tub removed so that I can get to the base pads to re-insert the one that fell out and hopefully stop the crazy loud spin cycle noise.

Thanks much, in advance!
-Mike
mpalmer1223 attached the following image(s):
washerInnerTub.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2011 4:25:55 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

From the photo, it looks like you haven't removed the tub cover. This video might help.

Washer Suspension Pads (part #285744) - How To Replace - YouTube
mpalmer1223  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 6:50:13 AM(UTC)
mpalmer1223

Magician59 -

Thanks for the prompt repsonse and for the video reference. I *did* remove the tub cover (ie, the piece with the 8 plastic tabs). I have followed the video you referenced exactly until 4:38 of the video, with no problems.

At that point, however, the inner tub simply will *not* lift up off the shaft. I am not being timid... I'm really trying to pull hard, straight up, but something is binding to the shaft.

Any ideas still much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
magician59  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 1:41:40 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

I've been there. If you can't coax it with WD-40, or (gulp) heat, I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas.
tgoods  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:52:04 PM(UTC)
tgoods

Squirt some WD40 or Rustbuster around the drive block. Push down on the basket and try to rock it. Once you feel it start to loosen up, you should be pull it straight up.
Jaronbaer  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 12:42:23 AM(UTC)
Jaronbaer

Looking for Buy Abercrombie? Find exactly what you want today.Bargain Prices. Smart Deals. Save on Abercrombie Wholesale!Looking for Buy Abercrombie? Find exactly what you want today. Buy Save on Wholesale Abercrombie&Fitch Find NexTag Sellers' Lowest Price! And Save Big Designer Closeout Sales Buy Direct from China Factories. Sale Prices Latest Fashions and Styles on Sale Name Brands on Sale!
mpalmer1223  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 6:28:47 AM(UTC)
mpalmer1223

Thanks again, tgoods and magician59 for the information! WD40 did the trick! Saturated it several times over the course of the day before ever trying to lift out, and it finally worked!

Appreciate the info, especially after I even posted incorrectly to the dishwasher forum to start out !

Happy Thanksgiving!
beyeriii  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:38:34 PM(UTC)
beyeriii

I encountered the same problem earlier today. The inner tub remained frozen even after using liberal WD-40 (and a propane torch to expand the metal).

Applying liquid butane (which is a super solvent) on top of the WD-40 seems to dramatically help the WD-40 penetrate, and the inner tub was then easily removed.

Side note: the four plastic tabs in the photo are for the spin filter (Part #: 62941) which I believe has been replaced by PN 285868 (four plastic filter plugs).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply