Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dickcollentine  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:52:24 PM(UTC)
dickcollentine

Groups: Registered

\Thanx for the reply by "Kooler" but I am still not able to do anything. The model number of the furnace itself is 867764240 and if you enter it in the Sears online parts site, you will get a diagram of the furnace. The motor I ordered had an original part number of 613209 and the motor they sent is numbered K8904. The new motor shows that the black and purple wires should be connected to the 110 power source, this would match the black and white wires on the old motor. It also shows that the brown wires should connect to a capacitor which matches the two brown wires on the old motor also. The wire diagram on the new motor shows that the other two wires are used for different speeds and these wires match the colors on the old motor. The problem is the orange and yellow wires.
On the new motor the diagram shows that they should be looped according to which direction you want the motor to spin, and hence my problem. The old motor has a yellow and an orange wire and they run back into the furncace assembly. Could it be possible that I should splice into the yellow and orange wire loops and run the line to the same place as the old motor's yellow and orange wires?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kooler  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2007 10:23:26 AM(UTC)
kooler

Groups: Senior Expert

Without seeing a wiring diagram to this unit I can't be of much help.. Your furnace is built by KEEPRITE but sold by SEARS as a KENMORE... It's possible the orange & yellow wires of the old motor were used to control the blower motor by variable speed... KEEPRITE uses this feature on some models for a more constant comfort temp. range... You could probably abandon these 2wires in place and your new motor will work just fine but if it were my furnace I would want to keep it as original as possible.. It may be best to call a pro to your home to make this repair...
#1 tech  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:51:42 AM(UTC)
#1 tech

A standard replacement moter will have 2 loop leads that select the rotation of the motor. if you only have two other leads comming off the motor then my guess would be that it is a single speed motor. While most heating and air units use multispeed motors. Useing a diffirent speed for heating (low) and cooling (high).
RegB  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 4:16:01 AM(UTC)
RegB

I am going through a similar furnace fan motor replacement problem right now.
The motor happens to be a Westinghouse, 5.6 inch diameter #48 frame, 3 speed, 115 volt, 1/5 HP, etc. It too has 4 wires, but only the black and white ones are used, the other two (green and red) having been taped off these last 35 years. This particular motor starts up and runs for maybe 10 seconds when very cold, 3 or 4 seconds when warm. I have verified that it is a motor problem by wiring it directly to 110 V, the plate says it is thermally protected and I suspect that it overheats internally and shuts itself down - bearings, windings, whatever, I don't much care, I just want heat and it owes me very little after 35 years (-:

FWIW, etc.

BTW, I don't know why they used a 3 speed motor and I havn't figured out how the 3 speeds are selected, perhaps by some switching between the wires that are used and the two that are not. I thought the air speed used to start low initially and then speed up as the furnace got up to temp, but I have become so used to this house that my memory isn't very clear on that.
Admin / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 11:43:46 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
RegB,

Wires - white is usually common, black is your high speed, green and red are 2nd and 3rd.

If you are looking for a replacement motor, contact Adam via our Live Chat option. Other than the specs you already have make sure to have the shaft dimensions and amperage. Shouldn't be difficult to find a replacement.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply