Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
redtr250  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:24:34 AM(UTC)
redtr250

Groups: Registered

Hi just reading your posts does this affect the balence of the machine ive changed the shocks since they were broken but the machine still has a balance problem when starting to spin is this the same problem you had:)
greenchair  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 5:40:59 AM(UTC)
greenchair

I am sure that handworking the casting changed the balance a little but should not be an issue considering the abnormal load of clothes that the washer has to contend with.

Also, I suspect one of the arms on my old spider fractured much earlier than the second and the washer still worked albeit poorly. It was probaly atleast 6 months to a year that way.

Did you spider go and cause your shocks to fail? As I remember, the shocks are more of a friction mechanism rather than a fluid chamber. Is that correct?

cheers
David F  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:44:31 AM(UTC)
David F

Originally Posted by: jhckwong Go to Quoted Post
I'm in the midst of changing out the stainless drum and spyder because the spyder cracked apart from 2 of the 3 legs. I wonder if our use of powder HE soap advanced the failure because leftover powdered soap was caked up in the grooves of the spyder where the failure occurred. I'm wondering if the leftover soap always stayed damp, which advanced the corrosion after only 3-1/2 years of use. Perhaps I will now use liquid HE soap instead of powder which I hope will help the unit last longer than the last spyder.

The white powder you see, which does resemble powdered detergent, is most likely aluminium oxide, the main product of corrosion from the aluminium alloy of the spider and the alkaline products in the washing and rinsing water. some of it will adhere very strongly to the donor component (spider). It, aluminium oxide, is very hard and very abrasive, it is in fact the 'grit' used in many 'sandpaers'. Further it is barely soluble in water so any not adhering to the spider will be carried into the 'water' where it will, in my opinion, act as a very efficient 'lapping paste' and as such will quickly destroy the soft lips of the spider shaft seal thus allowing water and aluminium oxide into the bearings, any guesses on how long they will last, even if they are 'sealed'?
martinrodgercy@yahoo.com  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:28:59 PM(UTC)
martinrodgercy@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by: greenchair Go to Quoted Post
I am replacing the dissolved spider support on my washer (yes, I have to buy the whole %$#$ tub.)

I am looking for some advice on coating the aluminum and/or zinc spider support to increase it's life.

FYI, I do have a can of commercial aluminum etching primer that may be useful for this purpose. I will have to dig for a better product description that that through my garage rubble. I remember seeing lots of warnings on the can. I probably am not qualified to spray it (smile).

Have you heard of German Made appliances?, mine is 21 years old AEG, no issues with these, spend the money is worth it. Don't buy North American designed Chinese made TRASH made to last 2 years MAX if you are lucky and thes see the cost of the parts...
rschleicher  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:23:10 PM(UTC)
rschleicher

I'm resurrecting this old thread, because I am trying to figure out if any of the major brands have made any improvements in their spider arms, to delay/prevent corrosion. Either by using a different material than aluminum, or perhaps by doing some sort of coating at the factory.

Basically, are any front loader brands better in this regard, having longer-lasting, more robust spider arms?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply