Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pdk8  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2009 5:42:18 PM(UTC)
pdk8

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore is leaving clothes wet after final spin. The clothes are not dripping wet, they seem much heavier. Dryer is having a tough time drying the clothes. The washer not seeming to spin as fast as when new. I can hold the drum from spinning at start of spin cycle. Does this seem to be a clutch or motor issue or something else? Washer does well in wash mode (moves clothes around well). Brake works very well (stops drum quickly). There is some oil residue at bottom of what seems to be the clutch assembly. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:58:12 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Sure sounds like the clutch, but before you change it out, disconnect the pump and make certain nothing is blocking the drain line and that the pump is working correctly.

If you conclude that your drain operation is ok, then you can go on to replacing the clutch.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
pdk8  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:40:21 PM(UTC)
pdk8

Thank you for the reply, I really do not wish to buy a new washer. How can the drain line interfere with the spin cycle? Can it be the transmition? I have seen videos up to the clutch, but none with a clutch removal, is there one out there? Would you change the clutch on a 8 year old machine?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:53:34 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Ok, sorry I did not explain adequately.

A partial blockage in the drain line and/or pump would not affect the spin, but it would cause your clothes to be wetter than they should and the higher weight of wet clothes could slow down your spin. I wanted you to check the drain in case that was your problem, as it would fix the problem at no cost and save you the time and effort to replace the clutch.

If you determine the drain line is not partially blocked, and it probably is not, then here is your clutch replacement kit.

Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Clutch assembly, part number: 285785

Here is a site that will explain how to replace the clutch. There should also be instructions with the part.

Clutch Replacement on Whirlpool and Kenmore Washers

You should be able to make this repair, just take your time and be careful.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
pdk8  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:58:42 PM(UTC)
pdk8

Awesome...I just placed the order. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply