Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Repair_Repressed  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 10:33:21 PM(UTC)
Repair_Repressed

Groups: Registered

When i used the trash compactor the last time, it started the compression cycle (normal kitchen trash), but then the motor kept running and the ram never retracted. I removed the back panel and tried to crank the ram back up by turning the sproket wheel, but without success. I was able to reach into the trash bin and lift the ram to it max up position where it stayed (permitting me to remove the trash bin). When I turned the unit on again, the ram immediately dropped to the bottom of the unit, and the motor kept running. What's the likely problem? Where do I start to check out the problem? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:57:12 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Sounds like the trunnion nut has gone bad. You have to remove the drawer, the control panel and the air freshener panel to access the part. Unfortunately there are no diagrams available online for Broan products, but I found the part number.

- The part number for the trunnion nut assembly is AP3159966

Gene.
Repair_Repressed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:20:17 PM(UTC)
Repair_Repressed

Groups: Registered

I followed your instructions, took the unit apart, and found a broken trunnion nut. Thanks for your tip.

One question: do I need to replace the trunnion nut or the assembly? The Broan manual I was able to download shows the part number for the nut as 93840003. Is there a reason for why I should replace more than the nut? Thanks in advance.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:35:33 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm not sure what is included in that assembly besides the nut and this is the only part number I found. So it's up to you which part to order.

Gene.