Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DisneyMommy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:22:19 AM(UTC)
DisneyMommy

Groups: Registered

Last night our 5 year old Kenmore range (model# 790.96229409) made a really loud noise. It almost sounded like a loud vibration or what I would associate with a toilet flushing without the water being turned on. The oven had been on and set to 450 degrees for dinner. The loud noise came with a plum of smoke....husband said it smelled like electrical smoke. The electronic control panel went blank except for one number which counts from 0 to 9 and then repeats itself over and over. The top burners of the range work, but the oven controls are inoperable and nothing happens when I press any of the buttons.

Does anyone have a clue as to what this mean? No "F" codes are on the screen. If I can repair myself that would be great. Sears wants $129 for a service call....plus the part. Just trying to figure out if this is something I can repair myself...or if I should just buy a new range/oven.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:52:11 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DisneyMommy Go to Quoted Post
Last night our 5 year old Kenmore range (model# 790.96229409) made a really loud noise. It almost sounded like a loud vibration or what I would associate with a toilet flushing without the water being turned on. The oven had been on and set to 450 degrees for dinner. The loud noise came with a plum of smoke....husband said it smelled like electrical smoke. The electronic control panel went blank except for one number which counts from 0 to 9 and then repeats itself over and over. The top burners of the range work, but the oven controls are inoperable and nothing happens when I press any of the buttons.

Does anyone have a clue as to what this mean? No "F" codes are on the screen. If I can repair myself that would be great. Sears wants $129 for a service call....plus the part. Just trying to figure out if this is something I can repair myself...or if I should just buy a new range/oven.

Thanks for the help!

DisneyMommy,
Sure sounds like the ERC/Clock, has shorted and failed.

Part number: AP4700815
Part number: AP4700815

It's a repair you should be able to perform, the hardest part may be moving the range out and away from the wall, so you can remove the back panel and access the ERC/Clock and wiring.

:) :) :)
DisneyMommy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:27:39 PM(UTC)
DisneyMommy

Thanks so much for the response. My husband and I are going to pull out the range tonight and take a look....see if it is something we can work on ourselves. If so, we will place an order. Thanks again!
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:10:17 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thanks so much for the response. My husband and I are going to pull out the range tonight and take a look....see if it is something we can work on ourselves. If so, we will place an order. Thanks again!

DisneyMommy,

We'll keep an eye out for your next post.

You folks will do fine.

eteal1187  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:26:56 AM(UTC)
eteal1187

hi, my name is Earl Teal i have code f10 the problem is the clock/timer control board is bad i have a repair man coming out Monday 21st 2011 the name of the company is Major Appl. 504 606 7678 it is Metaririe Louisiana. it only charge me a $65.00 dollars service charge plus parts. I hope this help you
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 5:21:36 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: eteal1187 Go to Quoted Post
hi, my name is Earl Teal i have code f10 the problem is the clock/timer control board is bad i have a repair man coming out Monday 21st 2011 the name of the company is Major Appl. 504 606 7678 it is Metaririe Louisiana. it only charge me a $65.00 dollars service charge plus parts. I hope this help you

Eteal,
Thanks for your input. Let us know whats involved in resolving your "F10" error code, we'd appreciate it.

As in most cases, service and labor charges fluctuate across the country, in some cases area by area of a city. But the servicer's charges sound very reasonable.

DisneyMommy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:37:20 PM(UTC)
DisneyMommy

Hi Joe,

I finally got around to ordering the part. Placed an order on Friday...and had the part Saturday morning! Talk about service!!

Unfortunately, the new part did not solve all of my oven problems. We've got the clock working, but the oven still will not heat. I tried the broil button instead and that did work. Looks like the 2nd part of the problem might be the bottom heating element?? The bottom of my oven is flat and the heating element is under neath...so I cannot really "see" if anything is wrong. We are going to go back and re-hook up the wires to the clock and make sure everything is hooked up properly. Other than that I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
DisneyMommy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:26:34 PM(UTC)
DisneyMommy

Hi again. We just took apart the oven to check on the bottom heating element. Looks like we found the main source of the problem. Took a picture to show you:UserPostedImage

Can we just replace this heating element? Do you think there are any more parts that might be affected and need to be replaced? I am guessing that the spark caused by this meltdown of the element caused the timer/clock to short out. Thanks for all of your help!!
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:18:49 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hi again. We just took apart the oven to check on the bottom heating element. Looks like we found the main source of the problem. Took a picture to show you:UserPostedImage

Can we just replace this heating element? Do you think there are any more parts that might be affected and need to be replaced? I am guessing that the spark caused by this meltdown of the element caused the timer/clock to short out. Thanks for all of your help!!

DisneyMommy,

Great job, You're on top of it. Yes, replace the element,

Part number: AP3753226
Part number: AP3753226

Other than a damaged wire, there shouldn't be any need for additional parts.

You're doing a great job .

Thanks and Good Luck,

DisneyMommy  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:43:58 AM(UTC)
DisneyMommy

Thanks, Joe! I appreciate the reply! I was hoping to order from you as your price on the clock/timer was in line with Sears and shipping was super fast. Unfortunately, you are about $30 more expensive than Sears for this exact item. Thanks again for you help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply