Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pinebear  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:44:07 AM(UTC)
Pinebear

Groups: Registered

The unit was seven years old in July and has worked flawlessly until now.

We washed dishes the other night and when we began to empty the washer we noticed that there was still liquid soap in the dispenser and some running down the inside of the front door and, of course, the dishes were not clean.

Tried running it through another cycle, but realized that once it filled and started, it sounded funny. After playing around with it for awhile, I've surmised that though there is a bit of water coming out of the spray arms, there is no where near enough pressure to even spin the arms with only the bottom of the dishes on the lower rack even getting wet.

Looking through this forum I believe that the problem had to be within the Circulation Pump mechanism and am looking for confirmation that I'm on the right track.

If so, does the entire pump have to be replaced or are there degrees of problems and fixes? Or could some kind of blockage have occurred?

Thoughts?

Thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:11:33 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pinebear Go to Quoted Post
...we noticed that there was still liquid soap in the dispenser...

...After playing around with it for awhile, I've surmised that though there is a bit of water coming out of the spray arms, there is no where near enough pressure to even spin the arms...

Looks like the circulation pump is working but there is not enough pressure created by the pump. You may want to clean all filters inside the dishwasher as well as the spray arms.

Try to use a different detergent. Liquid and/or gel detergents are known as a troublemakers. I would recommend Cascade or Electrasol tablets.

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Care and Cleaning.doc (280kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
Pinebear  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:45:09 AM(UTC)
Pinebear

Thanks, but I don't think it's due to the detergent being used.

Like I said, it's worked fine for over seven years. All the filters are squeaky clean since that is a normal maintenance item. The spray arms are also clean, with no blockages.

I believe the reason there was still soap in the dispenser is due to the spray never reaching that high. In fact items on the upper rack didn't even get wet.

I can hear the pump motor running when it's on spray cycle, but it's as if the impeller isn't turning, or at least not very much.

Is the impeller itself a separately replaceable/repairable item or does it require replacement of the entire Circulation Pump?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:17:39 AM(UTC)
Gene

If the motor is still good then you can just replace the impeller. Otherwise you have to replace the whole assembly. The instructions are attached to the reply.

- The circulation pump repair kit Part number: AP2802376
Part number: AP2802376

- The circulation pump assembly Part number: AP3385208
Part number: AP3385208

Gene.

P.S. If that detergent was working for 7 years, does not mean that it did not create problems. It was just accumulated with time and the problem you are having today very likely caused by it.
File Attachment(s):
Circulation pump and impeller - part 1.doc (815kb) downloaded 51 time(s).
Circulation pump and impeller - part 2.doc (1,320kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
Circulation pump and impeller - part 3.doc (1,034kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
Pinebear  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:49:58 AM(UTC)
Pinebear

Thanks. That should get me started.

Is there a thread on this board that discusses liquid vs dry detergent and why the former is bad?
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:03:39 AM(UTC)
Gene

My recommendations for detergent based on my experience. If you have really hard water, then a liquid or gel detergent will accelerate minerals (calcium) accumulation inside the dishwasher. It is also important to use a rinse aid for better dishwasher performance.

You can find more information about detergents in one of our previous threads:http://forum.appliancepartspros...p-rack-dirty-dishes.html in the very first post.

Gene.
Pinebear  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:48:52 AM(UTC)
Pinebear

Thank you.
marka2k  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 6:53:02 AM(UTC)
marka2k

Replaced the impeller (was bad) is there a trick on re-installing the pump? Everytime I think I have it in properly it leaks. I have tried the 11 o'clock position and rotating it counter clockwise it locks in but still leaks made sure the rubber gasket 4"? is on properly and used all new. Thank you

Update: Got it figured out took a while but was able to finally mate the pump to the bell and lock it into place no more leaks. Thank you to the OP and all that have contributed to this thread!
Gene  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:38:28 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. We are glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply