Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ennemm  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 8:06:46 AM(UTC)
ennemm

Groups: Registered

I am trying to replace the leaky drain pump on my whirlpool washer but it is stuck to the motor shaft. I opened the washer, removed the motor and drain pump but am unable to separate the two ! So need, help, asking for your advice...

As the leak was going on for a couple of weeks and some rust has developed on the motor pump shaft as well, the drain pump is pretty much stuck on the motor. It does move a few mm up-down along the shaft but its black rubber part is firmly stuck on the motor.

I have ordered the new drain pump but now sure how I will remove. Looks like some destructive method is in order. Just now sure how to so as to not damage the motor. Also any tips on the situation for assembly back or precautions appreciated from someone experienced in this.

Thanks to all in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:03:22 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Groups: Registered

I have had a few to do this you just have to get it off by any means necessary prize it off with a screwdriver. You need to be very careful not to damage the motor but it comes a point where you decide that the pump must come off or you will have to replace the motor anyway. Most of the time it’s unnecessary to remove the motor to replace the pump but in your case it may make it much easier. Also if you do get it off you will need to clean the motor with emery cloth and hopefully the new pump will go back on. Clothes Washer Repair Guide
Guest - Phil S.  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2022 4:03:53 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I had the same problem and this is the only site that talked about it. I cut the plastic pump case off with a dremel cutting tool, dividing it into four pieces then twisting it off; it took some work. Then I cut off the rubber fan with a box knife, getting down to the center piece that was frozen on the shaft. I then took a small drill and drilled a hole in the metal center piece, exposing the motor shaft end. I purchased a "Faucet Handle / Compression Sleeve Puller" at Home depot for $15, slipped it behind the remaining pump piece and it slipped right off. I did put some Blaster on the shaft the night before to loosed things up but I don't think it helped much. I finished by sanding down the rusted shaft, putting some petroleum jelly on the shaft to lube it, and put the new pump on.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply