Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dgb20  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:10:07 PM(UTC)
dgb20

Groups: Registered

Washer fills/drains fine. Agitation (wash) cycle works fine. Spin cycle made a loud clicking noise (like a bad bearing) and the drum did not spin. Have a replaced the direct drive couplers/rubber grommet (the old ones looked fine) and the clutch assembly. Now the drum moves in a "jerky" motion during spin, like something is slipping.

What is the most likely culprit? Transmission? Brakes? ?? :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:43:09 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Based on your info and what you have done I think the problem is in the brakes. See the Sticky at the top of this page on direct drive brakes by Richappy for more info.
dgb20  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:52:40 PM(UTC)
dgb20

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Based on your info and what you have done I think the problem is in the brakes. See the Sticky at the top of this page on direct drive brakes by Richappy for more info.

Checked the brakes. I can turn them easily (counter clockwise). I cleaned, lightly sanded, and sprayed a light coat of WD40 on the brake drum while turning the brakes. While I had it apart, I visually checked (again) the basket drive block and brake & drive tube to ensure the tabs were lined up and not worn. This is the video of the machine upon reassembly Kenmore Washer Series 90 Spin Problem... - YouTube

The jerking motion is still there on the spin cycle. Any additional ideas? Transmission? If so, is there a way to check it without opening the cover?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:38:12 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

I don't think it is the transmission. Try changing out the springs and the clutch lining. It is just hard for us to diagnose something like this without being there to see it.
dgb20  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:52:36 PM(UTC)
dgb20

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
I don't think it is the transmission. Try changing out the springs and the clutch lining. It is just hard for us to diagnose something like this without being there to see it.

I actually replaced the entire clutch assembly (kit with a new housing, lining, brake cam driver, etc) Part Number: AP3094537. I checked to ensure it was installed correctly and had the spring facing the motor (the spring on the brake assembly was at the top) when I reassembled. I suppose it is possible that the new one is bad. I made sure that I used the same color spring as the old one.

Thoughts? I know it is tough to troubleshoot when you cannot see everything - but thanks for trying.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:19:45 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Probably a bad tranny, remove the pump and motor and turn the tranny coupler clockwise till spin engages. Continue turning, if you feal a rough spot, you have a busted nylon gear in the tranny.
dgb20  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:42:17 PM(UTC)
dgb20

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Probably a bad tranny, remove the pump and motor and turn the tranny coupler clockwise till spin engages. Continue turning, if you feal a rough spot, you have a busted nylon gear in the tranny.

Thanks for the info Richappy - ok, was able to turn a few rotations (clockwise) and started feeling a roughness in the motion, like a cog not quite messing properly. I as I continued to turn, the clutch housing made a slight movement (clockwise) and I cannot turn the coupler any more (clockwise). I am assuming the rough motion I felt is what you described - so most likely a new transmission is in order?

Update 11/5/11: New transmission arrived and once installed everything working fine. Thanks everyone
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply