Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ckleckne  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 7, 2011 4:44:29 AM(UTC)
ckleckne

Groups: Registered

I own an Amana bottom freezer refrigerator that is just over a year old. Ice has been accumulating in the bottom of the freezer compartment and there is occassionally a puddle of water on the floor. I opened the freezer door and let the ice thaw and melt and that seemed to work for a while. But, now the problem is back and I'm thinking it may be a problem with the drain. The model number is ABB1924WEQ
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 7, 2011 6:55:21 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Hello. Yes, it sounds like the drain is clogged and will need to be cleaned out. Remove the door and the basket from the freezer. Press the tabs and remove the glides out of the freezer. Remove either the left or right glide rail to remove the back panel. Remove the center air grill by pressing the tab in the center with a straight screwdriver and pry toward the center in the two slots on the sides of the grill. remove the thermistor cover on the right side by prying the slot with the screwdriver. Now remove the screws holding the panel in place, and remove the icemaker, if your unit has one. Remove the back panel from the unit.

Now you can access the drain under the evaporator coils. Use hot water and a turkey baster. Push the hot water into the drain hole, and clear out any ice and debris in the drain. When the drain flows freely with the hot water, reinstall the components for the freezer in reverse order. Hope this helps.
jmwadington  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 7:57:20 AM(UTC)
jmwadington

Jeff/APP Team

We are having the same issue with our Amana bottom freezer. However, our model number is AFI2538AES7. Could it be the drain too or could something else be the issue? Would we try to fix it the same way as your post above? Thank you for your advice.

~Jessica
Jeff / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 8:21:34 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Hello Jessica. Yes, it could be the same issue. Try the method above and see if it resolves your issue. Thanks!!
howaboutme  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 4:44:16 PM(UTC)
howaboutme

Hello all. What a coincidence that this thread was on top. I have the same issue but my Amana model # is: ABB1924WES1.

I have had the fridge for about 2.5 to 3 years. Recently, we've been seeing water at the bottom of our fridge. After a lot of research, I believe it's a clogged condensate line that is typical of this model and noted in this thread. I have a good grasp on how to fix it but what I cannot seem to figure out is how to remove the freezer basket. I need to remove it in order to gain access to the back panel and remove that to access the condensate line. I have tried to pry it, lift it and everything except break it but nothing. There seems to be a couple of clips holding it in place on each side but I can't figure out which way to shimmy the basket to make it work.

Any thoughts? I have attached a photo of the connection point at one end.

Thanks in advance!
howaboutme attached the following image(s):
2013-08-04 14.54.21.jpg
Jeff / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:48:59 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Remove the door and the basket from the freezer by pressing on the locking tabs in the photo you provided.
Press the tabs and remove the glides out of the freezer.
Remove either the left or right glide rail to remove the back panel.
Remove the center air grill by pressing the tab in the center with a straight screwdriver and pry toward the center in the two slots on the sides of the grill. remove the thermostat cover on the right side by prying the slot with the screwdriver.
Now remove the screws holding the panel in place, and remove the icemaker, if your unit has one.
Remove the back panel from the unit.
howaboutme  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:32:02 AM(UTC)
howaboutme

Thank you for the response!

Are you saying that I have to take the actual door off in order to take the basket off?

Is the process for sliding the basket out like this: 1)press both tabs in 2) slide basket out slightly and then do the same on the other side? I thought I tried that but the darn thing is so tightly jammed in. I will try again.

Thank you!
Simchaleh  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 10:21:39 AM(UTC)
Simchaleh

Hey everyone. Im having the same issue. Periodically pool of water flowing from the freeze door. And the floor of the freezer has a nice layer of ice.
I have an older model side by side amana fridge/freeze. Is it possible to get directions how to do this. Im a bit confused whAt i need to do within the freeze,and what from the back where the fan is. Th ks
cmjake  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 8:48:35 AM(UTC)
cmjake

I had the same problem. Called repair and defrosted freezer prior. He "fixed" it and it happened again. Said I had to defrost again. I didn't I now have the thermostat set to "1" on the freezer and "3" on the fridge and no more problem.
Simchaleh  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 8:54:56 AM(UTC)
Simchaleh

In the end i opened up the freezer in the inside, and found it full of ice. Defrosted.
The main key, was underneath the freezer at the opening to the rain tube. That wqs plogged with guck. Took that out. M ade sure the oassage was clean by pushing water into it and seeing that it runs clean. Nw everythig is ok.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply