Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Drgnflys  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:42:39 PM(UTC)
Drgnflys

Groups: Registered

Help!

Our Kenmore Elite refrigerator started with the warm doors syndrome and quickly advanced to the not cooling freezer/fridge.
All the cooling fins had good circulation, and the compressor would start and than stop in a short amount of time-about ten seconds, also the comp fan would only work sometimes.
Enter repair man Matt who informed us the control board (#19 in the schematic parts book) needed to be replaced.
I replaced the control board and the fridge appeared like it was going to work....the fridge never got past 35 degrees farenheit and the compressor would for an extended period of time initially and than slowed down to only run for about 30 seconds and than stop, I noted the one compressor line get warm and the other cool prior to shut down.
The ice maker is off and all the fan appear to be working, the lights shut off when the switches are activated.

Also, there is no start relay on this fridge, only a small computer and control board.
I replaced the control board #19 that is mounted at the rear left side of the fridge in the frame of the fridge-which helped, but obviously did not fix the issue.
Thanks for looking
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2011 5:33:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are the parts
Replacement parts for KENMORE 10644329400 | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet do not have a cross reference of Kenmore numbers to Whirlpool numbers but I think the following manual should be a close match to your unit.
http://appliancedigest.c...ompressor-service-manual
You have to join the site to download the manual but it is free and this is a very good site for manuals and other info for the appliance repair DIYer.

I am not sure I understand your problem. If the fresh food side is getting down to 36 degrees F then that is fine. The usual spec for a fridge is around 40 degrees F. The freezer should be 0 to 5 degrees F.

The compressor in this unit is always on but is variable speed (see the manual) at slow speed you may not be able to tell that it is on.
File Attachment(s):
44329400.pdf (822kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Drgnflys  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2011 11:50:06 PM(UTC)
Drgnflys

The freezer is at 35-36 degree's....
The fridge side is around 45
The compressor kicks on for about 1.5 minutes.
The freezer fan is running non-stop.

Any ideas?
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:09:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Does sound like a compressor or it's power supply (inverter) or control board problem.

This is a complicated unit so is best left to a pro.
You could try narrowing it down using the manual and the diagnostics in the tech sheet.

Be sure that any repair person you get has experience with variable capacity compressors. They can be a pain to troubleshoot.
Drgnflys  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:26:50 PM(UTC)
Drgnflys

The freezer is at 35-36 degree's....
The fridge side is around 45
The compressor kicks on for about 1.5 minutes.
The freezer fan is running non-stop.
I replaced the electronic control in the rear frame of the fridge, this helped and the fridge cools into the 40's, into the 35-32 range with some ice added in the box.
I'm going to order PN 2306957, or #36 in the sears parts schematics diagram, AKA the Inverter BOX.
Any one know if this is the fix?
I guess I'll know soon enough!
Drgnflys  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:36:01 PM(UTC)
Drgnflys

Fixed!!

I installed a new electronic control Sears PN 2307028 and than a Inverter box Sears PN 2306957
After about 30 min the temp in the freezer went 34 degrees down to 21 degrees!!:D

The inverter box looks like a small computer in the back of the fridge near and connected to the compressor, the electronic control is mounted next to the inverter box inside the frame of the refrigerator.
Both were very easy to remove and re-install, just make sure you install the inverter box connection to the compressor in the correct orientation

This is an Kenmore Elite side by side SS refrigerator yr 2005
Model number
denman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:29:54 AM(UTC)
denman

Glad to hear that you are up and running.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.

Even though though the boards are expensive you probably saved a fair amount of money by doing it yourself.
Drgnflys  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:51:25 PM(UTC)
Drgnflys

Fixed!!

I installed a new electronic control Sears PN 2307028 and than a Inverter box Sears PN 2306957
After about 30 min the temp in the freezer went 34 degrees down to 21 degrees!!:D

This is an Kenmore Elite side by side SS refrigerator yr 2005
Model number

The fridge cost 2500$ in 2005, between the a modified water filter using a generic filter and adaptor, a new control board and Inverter I ended up spending around 420$
I spent 240 on the Inverter at a local parts supplier-Internet price was 150 and up, but between shipping cost and daily ice needs I prob only lost 40-50$ and gained a happy wife and less mess/aggrovation.

BTW, I fixed my leaking water filter with a generic filter and 2 adapters.

Watts filter installation kit kf-1 That included extra tubing-that will be used to make a diaper flush in the bathroom.

Two Watts Quick connect male adapter PL-3005 that adapt the in line and out line from the filter. These go on either side of the filter to adapt to the refrigerator water lines that originally go in and out of the original 50$ filter.
I just cut the line with the "odd" end with a razor blade and the lines just push in and easily come out by pressing the flange around the lines, if you play with them you will understand what I mean.
Cost for all three items was less than 40$ and the filter states it's good for 20,000 gallons.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply