Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nauran99  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:43:47 AM(UTC)
nauran99

Groups: Registered

Range was purchased by previous owners (unsure really of age).
Have lived in house for 2 years.

Just today, after my wife baked some cookies, and shut it off, the bake element remains on.

From other articles, this seems like a control panel replacement, but am unsure and am asking for additional clarification.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 1:46:23 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Model Search

Here is the control board
WHIRLPOOL Control board, part number: 8523665

Here is the tech sheet
https://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208274197.pdf

I assume you have shut power off (unplugged the unit) for a couple hours and it still had the element on.

You did not say if the element stays on and is at high heat OR is on but is cycling OR is on but is not at high heat.

If it is the last one then it could be that a wire has shorted to the frame (ground) and the element is getting 120 volts all the time.

Unplug the unit, disconnect the keypad, plug unit in.
Is the element still on.

If no. Then you may have a bad keypad (shorted key) though this should have given you an error code, so it is a long shot.

If yes. Then odds are high that the control board is shot. Either the bake relay's contacts are welded together or the electronics are screwed up and are closing the relay when they shouldn't.

Be sure to unplug the unit when working on it 240 VOLTS IS LETHAL.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kayakcrzy  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 4:31:05 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

replace the control board. there is most likely a welded contact, or a relay stuck on the control board. the part # is 852244. tom
nauran99  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 5:59:30 AM(UTC)
nauran99

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post

I assume you have shut power off (unplugged the unit) for a couple hours and it still had the element on.

You did not say if the element stays on and is at high heat OR is on but is cycling OR is on but is not at high heat.

If it is the last one then it could be that a wire has shorted to the frame (ground) and the element is getting 120 volts all the time.

Unplug the unit, disconnect the keypad, plug unit in.
Is the element still on.

If no. Then you may have a bad keypad (shorted key) though this should have given you an error code, so it is a long shot.

If yes. Then odds are high that the control board is shot. Either the bake relay's contacts are welded together or the electronics are screwed up and are closing the relay when they shouldn't.

Be sure to unplug the unit when working on it 240 VOLTS IS LETHAL.

Additional information to let you know of, as this may change the outcome...

When my wife baked the cookies yesterday, they seemed to have been cooked too high, like the oven was on real high heat.

When she went to shut it off, it did not and the bake element stayed on (was high heat / high orange).

Turning the oven back on/off didn't change the output of the elements.

I went down, killed the power at the breaker for 3 min, then back on...element came back on and same temp it seemed.

I then killed the breaker again for about 3-4 hours and back on. Nothing came back on. I tested the bake and broil element this morning, both heated up as set, then powered down fine.

Since it is working now, my theory could be that my wife hit clean the clean cycle then start for baking cookies since they seemed to be cooked more than they should.
? any thoughts to this ?

? Should I do any other testing ?

If it happens again however, and it doesn't turn off when shut off and stays on high heat, would you say then the control panel needs replacement ?

Thanks again!
denman  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 8:10:05 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Since it is working now, my theory could be that my wife hit clean the clean cycle then start for baking cookies since they seemed to be cooked more than they should.
? any thoughts to this ?

I do not think the above happened. The unit should have locked the door if this happened.

? Should I do any other testing ?

No, I do not think it will get you anywhere. The unit has to be broken for you to find the problem.

If it happens again however, and it doesn't turn off when shut off and stays on high heat, would you say then the control panel needs replacement ?

Yes, I am afraid this would be the most likely.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
nauran99  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 8:16:58 AM(UTC)
nauran99

I would have to ask my wife if there was any errors or so when she baked the cookies.

When the element wasn't shutting down before I killed the breaker for 3-4 hours yesterday (after I killed it for 3-5 min), I did try the clean cycle myself and received an E1 - F5 error shortly after starting. Online, said the door latch had issues.

In any case, I will continue to monitor and see if the issues come back.

Thanks