Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
arbiggs  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:23:47 AM(UTC)
arbiggs

Groups: Registered

My dryer stopped heating and I'm guessing it is the heating element. It looks as if there are 2 parts available; a heater housing assembly ($115) or just the heater coil ($20) which fits in the assembly. I see what appears to be spade connectors on the coil. So I guess I want to know if I can just unplug the old coil and replace it with the new one using the old assembly? Or should I get the whole assembly. Also, it looks as though I have to go thru the front and remove the drum to get to the assembly. Is that correct? How difficult is that? Is it something a DIYer can do fairly easy?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:59:55 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I have not worked on that particular model, but in general the GE models can be accessed from the front by removing the drum, and I think that is the procedure in your case. You might want to have a friend over to help handle the reassembly.

You can just "re-string" the element as long as there is not damage to the housing or the brackets holding the heating element.

However, before you go and do this you stated that it is your suspicion that the problem is the heating element. If you have not already done so, you should check the safety thermostat and any thermal fuses on the machine, and also check the heating element for continuity. We don't want you to go to the trouble and expense of replacing the element and then find it was not your problem.

If you have already done this checking, or have checked the heating element and found it to be bad then go ahead and replace it and enjoy drying (well as much as one can enjoy drying)
arbiggs  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:18:47 PM(UTC)
arbiggs

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the help/advice. I have not tested those items yet, but plan to do so before ordering any parts. The only scary part is pulling all the 'stuff' out thru the front and then trying to 'stuff' it back. Seems like I always end up with extra parts. :-)
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:59:52 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well fortunately these are pretty big parts, I mean, if you leave the drum out you will know it. I think the biggest problem you might have is getting the belt back on, look closely at how it goes around the pulley and tensioner before you take it off.

You can do this, and if you find it is the thermostat you should be able to leave most of the parts in place.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply