Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bigjake111  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:19:56 AM(UTC)
bigjake111

Groups: Registered

I have a Jenn Air gas stove with a built in down draft fan. When I ignite either of the burners on the left side the fan turns on automatically to the high setting and it can't be shut it off without shutting off the burners on the left side of the stove. This doesn't happen with the 2 right sided burners. How do I fix this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

storm965  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:11:04 AM(UTC)
storm965

I have a Jenn Air also that does the same thing. However, if you can slide the burners to the front it will turn off the down draft fan. At least, that is how my stove works. Good luck!
Joe / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 5:32:31 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bigjake111 Go to Quoted Post
I have a Jenn Air gas stove with a built in down draft fan. When I ignite either of the burners on the left side the fan turns on automatically to the high setting and it can't be shut it off without shutting off the burners on the left side of the stove. This doesn't happen with the 2 right sided burners. How do I fix this?

Bigjake,

If you have the "E" burner (barbque grille) in the left bay, that is normal operation.

If you have the two burner conversion kit in the left bay, You will need to check the bypass tongue on the bottom of the araeation(drip) pan and adjust it to activate the by pass switch for the down draft fan.

Thanks and Good Luck,
:) :) :)
vudean  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 4:16:11 PM(UTC)
vudean

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Bigjake,

If you have the "E" burner (barbque grille) in the left bay, that is normal operation.

If you have the two burner conversion kit in the left bay, You will need to check the bypass tongue on the bottom of the araeation(drip) pan and adjust it to activate the by pass switch for the down draft fan.

Thanks and Good Luck,
:) :) :)

Can you repeat that second sentence in English? :D Are you saying if I buy the burners I can turn this "feature" off? Can I turn it off either way? I sure don't need a fan blowing on high while boiling water!
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:25:08 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: vudean Go to Quoted Post
Can you repeat that second sentence in English? :D Are you saying if I buy the burners I can turn this "feature" off? Can I turn it off either way? I sure don't need a fan blowing on high while boiling water!

Vudean, If you have a Jenn Air "gas" range or cooktop, with a down draft fan, it is designed to activate the down draft fan, whenever the left side bay switches are on, The left side bay is a "grille" for "bar be quing" If you purchase and install a burner conversion kit

Part number: AP4122839
Part number: AP4122839

the areation pan (drip pan) has a "tongue" or lever on the bottom, that when you install the pan, the lever activates a"by pass" switch, that deactivates the down draft fan motor, and you'll have to manually activate the down draft motor with the switch on the control panel. Thanks
jejocrane  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 4:08:32 PM(UTC)
jejocrane

I'm having the same problem with my Jenn-Aire model # JDS9860BDS. I removed the cartridge and did not see a "tongue" or lever. Do you have to remove the drip pan to find the "tongue" or lever on the bottom to bypass the activation switch? I did not remove the drip pan but used a flashlight and mirror to inspect the underside and did not see the lever you describe.
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 7:43:49 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: jejocrane Go to Quoted Post
I'm having the same problem with my Jenn-Aire model # JDS9860BDS. I removed the cartridge and did not see a "tongue" or lever. Do you have to remove the drip pan to find the "tongue" or lever on the bottom to bypass the activation switch? I did not remove the drip pan but used a flashlight and mirror to inspect the underside and did not see the lever you describe.

jejocrane, Thank you for the model number of your range. Your range is slightly different than the previous posts(they forgot to attach a model number).

In your case, you have to remove the complete dual burner cartridge,

Part number: AP5804347
Part number: AP5804347

Once removed, you should "see" the plunger of the "Snap Switch"

Part number: AP4099548
Part number: AP4099548

Protruding from the front bay wall. You'll need to check that the plunger is working and the switch assembly isn't loose or out of adjustment.

When you insert the burner cartridge assembly and it is seated and attached properly, the base housing of the cartridge should contact the plunger and press the plunger in, to bypass the down draft fan motor circuit.
dmulvi5  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2015 6:09:53 PM(UTC)
dmulvi5

Is there any way to engage the bypass switch without buying the burner converter?
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2015 6:04:40 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: dmulvi5 Go to Quoted Post
Is there any way to engage the bypass switch without buying the burner converter?

dmulvi, Some people / servicers would just bypass the switch. But that could be a little dangerous in the even of a spill over or short in the wiring.
We wish we knew what you have in mind, the downdraft fan is used to remove the smoke, grease, etc. when cooking on the left side grille burner.
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 10, 2023 5:08:00 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If you look at the end of your drip pan, there is a black metal pin that fits into the hole under the burners to help hold the pan in place. On the left side, if this pin is not inserted into the hole to disengage the fan, then the fan will run when ever the left burner is used. The hole on the right does not have this sensor lever triggering the fan but the left side does. You can actually see it by looking in the little hole and if you depress it when the drip pan is not inserted, you will see what I mean. I'm just a housewife who is tired of listening to the annoying fan soI figured it out for my self!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply