Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scsimpson  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:50:57 PM(UTC)
scsimpson

Groups: Registered

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Our Maytag dryer stopped running mid drying cycle today and won't start again. It just stopped running. I checked the main service panel. The dryer breakers weren't flipped. I reset them anyway. The light inside the drum comes on when the door is opened. The dryer has no other signs of life, other than the drum light, no matter which dial is turned or button pushed. No burned smells. No sounds. Nothing. I figure we've had this dryer somewhere between 10-15 years. Never had any problems with it before today. I think since it died mid cycle that it's probably the motor? Could it be the start switch since it died mid dry cycle?

Thank you in advance!
Scott
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jumptrout51  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:05:29 AM(UTC)
jumptrout51

Groups: Expert

Check the door switch for continuity. Maytag also has a thermal switch(not resettable) that will blow. If thermal switch is bad check your vent for poor airflow.
scsimpson  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:44:24 PM(UTC)
scsimpson

Groups: Registered

Got my hands on a Fluke multi tester today. Start switch, Temp switch, the two thermal switches I could find and the door switch (light comes on when door is opened) all tested good. The timer motor gave me a reading of 6.3K ohm though. My repair book says it should be between 2-3K. So, I suspect the timer motor. Is 6.3K ohm too high? I'm electrically challenged which is why I ask. :)
None of the air ducts were clogged but were sort of linty so I cleaned them all out from the drum to the outside vent in the wall as well as all around the inside the dryer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply