Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Robert Kulagowski  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 10:13:37 AM(UTC)
Robert Kulagowski

Groups: Registered

Purchased a KUDE60 from Sears Outlet. Excellent physical condition, half off of list price. Store personnel couldn't tell me why it was returned.

Hooked it up outside of the cabinets so that I could check functionality, leaks, etc.

Noticed that during the fill cycle, once the fill solenoid opens I would get water splashing out the vent that's in the water inlet assembly on the left side of the dishwasher.

Since I'm still under the 90 days "no questions" from Sears, they sent out a tech who said that the inlet assembly was defective. OK.

One week later, part arrives along with a tech, who replaces the inlet assembly. Same issue! During the initial inrush about 3 ounces of water come out through the rectangle that's at the top which allows air to come in to balance pressure (or whatever it's doing).

This tech says that it's because the water pressure is too high and closed the valve on the hot water supply by half. To me that's a band-aid.

The install manual says water pressure of between 20-120psi, and if I had 120psi coming out of the pipes it would probably cut my hand open, so I'm sure that my city water supply is at 40-60 or so.

I've got 80 days to go before I can't return it anymore.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 1:09:52 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Robert Kulagowski Go to Quoted Post
Purchased a KUDE60 from Sears Outlet. Excellent physical condition, half off of list price. Store personnel couldn't tell me why it was returned.

Hooked it up outside of the cabinets so that I could check functionality, leaks, etc.

Noticed that during the fill cycle, once the fill solenoid opens I would get water splashing out the vent that's in the water inlet assembly on the left side of the dishwasher.

Since I'm still under the 90 days "no questions" from Sears, they sent out a tech who said that the inlet assembly was defective. OK.

One week later, part arrives along with a tech, who replaces the inlet assembly. Same issue! During the initial inrush about 3 ounces of water come out through the rectangle that's at the top which allows air to come in to balance pressure (or whatever it's doing).

This tech says that it's because the water pressure is too high and closed the valve on the hot water supply by half. To me that's a band-aid.

The install manual says water pressure of between 20-120psi, and if I had 120psi coming out of the pipes it would probably cut my hand open, so I'm sure that my city water supply is at 40-60 or so.

I've got 80 days to go before I can't return it anymore.

Robert,

Did you or the technician check the inside of the housing for "slag" left in the assembly ? Did the leak stop with the water supply turned down ?

You may want to get the water supply company or a plumber out and have them check the water pressure, you could have a defective regulator on the supply line. High and low pressure can produce the same symptoms.
Also make sure yiu have the proper inside diameter of the water supply line( should be 3/8 in. I/D pipe or tubing).

:) :) :) :)
Robert Kulagowski  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:08:32 PM(UTC)
Robert Kulagowski

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Robert,

Did you or the technician check the inside of the housing for "slag" left in the assembly ? Did the leak stop with the water supply turned down ?

You may want to get the water supply company or a plumber out and have them check the water pressure, you could have a defective regulator on the supply line. High and low pressure can produce the same symptoms.
Also make sure yiu have the proper inside diameter of the water supply line( should be 3/8 in. I/D pipe or tubing).

The tech didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on either the old or new part.

The leak has stopped with the water supply valve closed to less than half, but I'm still getting slight amounts of splash-out versus puddles.

I will call the city and see if they'll send someone out to check the water pressure. If the water pressure is within normal, what's the next suggestion? It's certainly cleaning the dishes well, I'm just concerned that if the valve is jostled at some point in the future, it may go back to puddling, except it will be under the counter and invisible at that point. At least until the floor rots out. :(

Yes, I'm using a 3/8" braided supply line off the 1/2" hot water supply under the sink. At the dishwasher end it goes from 3/8 to 1/2" through a brass el.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:00:24 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

The tech didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on either the old or new part.

The leak has stopped with the water supply valve closed to less than half, but I'm still getting slight amounts of splash-out versus puddles.

I will call the city and see if they'll send someone out to check the water pressure. If the water pressure is within normal, what's the next suggestion? It's certainly cleaning the dishes well, I'm just concerned that if the valve is jostled at some point in the future, it may go back to puddling, except it will be under the counter and invisible at that point. At least until the floor rots out. :(

Yes, I'm using a 3/8" braided supply line off the 1/2" hot water supply under the sink. At the dishwasher end it goes from 3/8 to 1/2" through a brass el.

Robert,
Did you have the water supply "re plumbed" ? Are you sure the fittings are 3/8 in. X 1/2 in. and the "inside" diameter of the hose is 3/8 inch ? Because everything sounds correct for a 3/8 in. inside diameter water supply line , and the issue would be the pressure.

:) :) :) :)
Robert Kulagowski  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 8:16:01 AM(UTC)
Robert Kulagowski

City confirmed that my water pressure is 53 psi. The braided supply is the standard "bag of 3/8" water hose and parts" sold in Home Depot as a dishwasher hookup kit. (The washing machine kit looks like it had 1/2")
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2011 10:46:34 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

City confirmed that my water pressure is 53 psi. The braided supply is the standard "bag of 3/8" water hose and parts" sold in Home Depot as a dishwasher hookup kit. (The washing machine kit looks like it had 1/2")

Robert,

I can't explain the issue. Everything you stated is in specification, and you've replaced the suspect part twice. The dishwasher works fine with the water supply turned down, suggesting a pressure or flow problem in the water supply to the unit. I'm kinda lost at this point.

Someone else on the Forum, may be familliar with a similar issue, and will give you other checks and reccomendations.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
denman  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 3:20:53 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I have not seen this but all that is left in the water supply is the water valve so you may want to try replacing that.

As far as a slow leak going unnoticed you could make yourself a tray out of tin foil with one side open facing the kick plate. Then if it does leak it will at least run out onto the floor in front of the dishwasher so you will see it.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
patrickstickney  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:39:25 PM(UTC)
patrickstickney

I think I'm having the same issue described here. I've also found it on several other appliance forums. I've video taped it and uploaded it to youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHwYe2sr1L0

Our water pressure seems totally normal, so I'm not sure what the issue could be...
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2018 6:41:07 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: patrickstickney Go to Quoted Post
I think I'm having the same issue described here. I've also found it on several other appliance forums. I've video taped it and uploaded it to youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHwYe2sr1L0

Our water pressure seems totally normal, so I'm not sure what the issue could be...

Patrick, What we see in the video isn't all that uncommon, it does happen occasionally. It's usually due to a sediment / deposits that form on the inside of the water/air inlet device, or a water pressure issue. You can carefully remove the inlet cover from the inside of the dishwasher tank and check for deposits and possible restrictions in the cover. Check the inside diameter of the water supply line, it should be no larger than a 3/8 inch diameter. There are several alternatives if all checks OK, Reduce the water flow/pressure at the supply valve for the dishwasher. The last alternative would be to replace the fill valve. We wouldn't expect the water flow/pressure to be an issue, but under some rare occasions it can.
patrickstickney  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2018 11:01:00 PM(UTC)
patrickstickney

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Patrick, What we see in the video isn't all that uncommon, it does happen occasionally. It's usually due to a sediment / deposits that form on the inside of the water/air inlet device, or a water pressure issue. You can carefully remove the inlet cover from the inside of the dishwasher tank and check for deposits and possible restrictions in the cover. Check the inside diameter of the water supply line, it should be no larger than a 3/8 inch diameter. There are several alternatives if all checks OK, Reduce the water flow/pressure at the supply valve for the dishwasher. The last alternative would be to replace the fill valve. We wouldn't expect the water flow/pressure to be an issue, but under some rare occasions it can.

Thanks Joe. Since it's a new dishwasher we don't have any buildup but I took apart the inlet components and noticed something interesting. It looks like the slats inside the inlet piece do not align - I'm wondering if this is causing extra resistance and that's why the water backups? Maybe if the pieces were rotated (they are stuck) and aligned things would improve.

I uploaded pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/Co1GrKs

I only get the leak right at the start of the fill cycle, and then it never leaks again. Basically what I captured on video is the extent of the problem, it won't leak for the rest of the cycle. But unfortunately the floor is already damaged from the first week of usage.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply