Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mr. Gooey  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:50:55 PM(UTC)
Mr. Gooey

Groups: Registered

Hi everybody,

Last year my dishwasher quit completing a cycle and the controls were really not that responsive. The only two buttons that worked were smart wash and cancel/drain, and when I pressed either one of those buttons the dishwasher would jump immediately into a rinse cycle without water and then cut off minutes later. I changed the electronic control board(which cost just about as much as the dishwasher did from a scratch and dent store) and everything seemed to work great.

One year later the same mysterious thing started happening. The only two buttons to work were the smart wash and the cancel/drain, and the same thing happened as last year when pressed. I switched off the breaker, opened it up, unplugged and plugged everything, and turned the breaker back on. It started right up and I was able to run about 3-4 full cycles before it just died. It didn't even finish draining. Now the control panel is unresponsive and nothing works.

This is a Kenmore dishwasher, model number 665.16363301

The thermal fuse seems intact. Would it be obvious if it was blown?

What else should I check, and how should I check it?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Chris
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Mr. Gooey  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 1:25:55 PM(UTC)
Mr. Gooey

Groups: Registered

Just incase anyone was curious, I was able to fix my dishwasher.

It turned out to be a bad thermal fuse. I bought a digital multimeter and checked to make sure there was power getting to the unit. The dishwasher was hardwired under the kick plate. I checked the voltage and it was getting 120v, which was good. Here's where I turned the breaker off to check other components. First I wanted to check the door switches to see if they had continuity. Both read near 0 on the ohm meter, so they were good. Then I checked the thermal fuse and the multimeter did nothing and remained at 1(should be 0). That's how I determined it was bad. I went to a local appliance parts store and bought a new fuse kit for $22, came home and was able to install the new one in minutes. The dishwasher fired right up and works just like new.

So I spent about $17 on a cheap-O digital multimeter (which I'll be able to use next time an appliance dies), and $22 on the fuse.

Here's the part I replaced. There are some videos online that walk you through step by step, but its pretty self explanatory.

http://www.********************...mp;ModelNum=665.16363301
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply