Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
macdod  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:22:45 AM(UTC)
macdod

Groups: Registered

New Whirlpool side by side (GSS30C6) installed last week. Ice and water dispenser work fine but water is 65 degrees F. Manual says it should be 50 degrees on "most models". Water temp fine in old fridge so not a water line/pipe problem. Rechecked installation on bottom front panel under door - looks right. Fridge temp 36 degrees. Called Whirlpool - they don't think there's a problem - 50 degrees is an average - and said service call likely at our expense. Can't find anything online where someone has similar problem. Should this brand new expensive fridge be dispensing lukewarm water or does it sould like something is wrong with this particular fridge? Is there something we can do or should I insist on a service call?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:33:56 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Hello macdod. Try running three glasses of water through the dispenser and see if the 2nd and 3rd are colder. If so, this is the way the refrigerator is designed. Most refrigerators have a holding tank for the water inside the refrigerator compartment. If you provide you model number, we can check and make sure yours has one. Hope this helps.
macdod  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:02:52 AM(UTC)
macdod

Jeff - thanks for the response. I just ran 4 8 oz. glasses of water, one right after the other, and in order the temperatures were 69 degress F, 62, 64 and 69. That's pretty typical. I've been testing constantly to find a pattern. Twice I've had a glass with a temp below 60 (55), immediately followed by a rise to the 60s. This is Whirlpool model GSS30C6EYY. It cools the water for the dispenser in tubing located behind the bottom crisper drawer in the fridge. The Whirlpool website says that a fridge of this depth should have 100 ft. of tubing. Only thing I know that's unique about this model in general is that it's the new 30 cf capacity with essentially the same outer cabinet dimensions as the 26 cf capacity version. The only thought the Whirlpool service rep had was that maybe we didn't have sufficient length of tubing for our needs but 100 ft. should get you at least one glass of cold water. Any help you can provide is much appreciated.
Jeff / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:12:43 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Check and make sure water supply line is not hooked up to the hot water line in the house. Hope this helps.
macdod  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:02:15 AM(UTC)
macdod

We've checked on water line. This new fridge replaced previous one with ice and water and water was cold with that one so everything was already in place for what we thought would be a simple transfer. Whirlpool really dissuaded us from service call saying this sounded within a normal range for them, so at this point I'm looking for advice on whether this is "normal", have we missed something that we can fix, or whether there is something wrong with this fridge. Thanks again for your quick response.
Jeff / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:28:08 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Hello macdod. Based on the information you provided, and what the manual says, it sounds like this is a normal operation. Thanks.
macdod  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:01:34 AM(UTC)
macdod

Jeff - My frustration is that the manual says the water should be 50 degrees. Even on average we are no way near that. Average is probably 62- 65. If this is normal for Whirlpool side-by-sides I thought I would have found other people complaining about this on web. Lots of Whirlpool fridge complaints but not like mine. Thanks again.
Jeff / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:11:13 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Is the temperature remaining cold inside the refrigerator? If so, what is the temperature inside the refrigerator? Thanks.
macdod  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:33:41 AM(UTC)
macdod

Jeff: Fridge was preset at 37. I have my own fridge thermometer and found that to be the actual fridge temp (within a couple of degrees) but lowered preset to 36 to see if that helped. Fridge temp is consistently in 36-40 degree range. Everything in fridge, including liquids on door shelves, is suitably chilled. Bottom crisper drawer actually has control on left wall to allow colder air from freezer side into that compartment if you want to store meat there. We have adjusted that control to let in the colder air since the water reservoir is located behind that crisper.
Jeff / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:40:38 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Hello macdod. If the temperature inside the refrigerator is 36°, then the water should be close to that as well. There is some water lines between the tank and the dispenser that will provide warmer water, but once that is clear, you should receive cold water. We have checked everything there is to check in this situation. Maybe someone else on here has heard of this situation, and can provide some feedback. Hope you get this resolved. Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply