Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chouseal  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:42:13 AM(UTC)
chouseal

Groups: Registered

Last night we noticed our fridge not cooling properly. The freezer side is very cold but not frozen (melted ice cream, etc) and the fridge side is cool but not as cool as it should be. The temp controls are set where they've always been, right around mid-point.

Where's the best place to start troubleshooting?

EDIT: Model number is HSS25IFMDWW (letter "i" in the middle, not number "1")
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

chouseal  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:12:40 PM(UTC)
chouseal

Update: I pulled the back panel off and the evaporator coil was literally covered in a thick layer of dust. I vacuumed it clean (best I could, anyway), and the temp in both the fridge and freezer dropped some, but still not where it should be. The top of the fridge side (it's a side-by-side) is about 57 degrees, the lower portion just above the crisper drawer is about 44. I haven't measured the temp in the freezer but will and report back. I don't hear or feel any air coming out of the vent at the top of the fridge side. Does this indicate a bad fan, or bad thermostat, or a blockage of some sort? Or possibly a bad defrost system?
chouseal  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:21:22 PM(UTC)
chouseal

OK, here's the latest. I followed the instructions in this post and got a reading of about 23.5 ohms between the wire that plugs into terminal J9 and pin 9 of the J7 connector.

Based on that information, I'm assuming the main control board is toast, causing the defrost system to malfunction.

Out of further curiosity, I plugged everything back in and then opened up the freezer section. The back panel had a light coating of frost on it, but nothing significant. I pulled out the shelves and removed the back panel. The coil was very cold but did not look frozen over by any means.

I put the panel back in place and started re-loading the freezer—and then heard the circulation fan kick on. First at high speed, then after 30 secs or so it settled into a slightly slower speed. I opened the fridge side and now I'm feeling air coming out of the top vent.

So... is the main control board shot or not? Is it possible my disconnect/reconnect operation to check resistance fixed something? I've got a thermometer in the fridge and will check temps again in a few hours. I'm really puzzled by this.

Gene, if you could reply and share a bit of your extensive wisdom I'd sure appreciate it!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply