Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stuartspern  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:03:30 AM(UTC)
stuartspern

Groups: Registered

Apparently, this control for the right-front dual burner has a high breakage rate judging from a brief literature search (i.e., Googling "12002723").

I had a repair company recommended by Jenn-Air out to investigate, they want to charge me $260 for the part (12002723) and $150 in labor, don't have a problem with the labor but the part is roughly $120-$130 at most sites, and the company won't come down on the price whatsoever. Even though this cooktop has a 5 year warranty on electronic circuit boards (and this switch incorporates an electronic circuit board), technician says that the part isn't under warranty, and even called Jenn Air/MayTag/Whirlpool to verify non-coverage.

I'm fairly handy, having an engineering background, but not sure what I'm getting into since I've been told that there is no installation sheet with the part.

Basically, I'd like to know major steps to replace this part, if beyond (1) pulling cooktop out of counter, (2) taking back cover off of cooktop, and (3) unplug terminals from switch and unscrew retaining nut from switch.

If I have to remove a plethora of parts to get to this switch, or the cooktop has a nasty habit of cracking unless it is handled "just right"then I'll probably leave it to the technician, otherwise I will attempt the repair on my own.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:45:56 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
This part has been redesigned by the manufacturer and because there is no installation instructions included with the part it's hard to say which way is better for you. I would buy the part myself and hire a pro to install it.

Here are the break down diagrams and Replacement parts for JENN-AIR JEC9530ADW | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
stuartspern  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:58:02 AM(UTC)
stuartspern

Thanks for the pointer. Problem is, the company that sent the technician out won't install the part unless they provide it, and I'm already in it for $75 for the diagnosis. I wouldn't have minded paying their inflated part prices if they had the part on the truck, or easily available at their warehouse, but in fact they would have to order it and ship it to my house, so I don't see the difference in parts, other than $160 extra to use the part that they order, versus one that I order.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:22:19 PM(UTC)
Gene

Unfortunately this is between you and them. By the way that $75 diagnosis charge is going to be applied to the full price (if they do the job) or it's on top of the cost of repair? If it's on top then try to find more reasonable company.

Gene.
stuartspern  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2009 9:27:55 AM(UTC)
stuartspern

Just ordered the part on Friday, received on Saturday, installed on Sunday. The correct sequence is;

1. cut power at breaker board
2. remove knobs from cooktop
3. Lift cooktop out of opening, flip over and set onto a towel
4. Remove screws holding burner box onto glass top (basically ~18 screws or so)
5. remove 2 terminals from fan
6. remove screws from control carrier (4 screws)
7. remove terminals from custom control
9. Remove rubber gasket over control shaft
8. remove nut holding control onto carrier (don't forget washer(s))
9. pinch 3 plastic post ends to release control from carrier
10. remove rubber gasket sheet from control

Assembly is reverse of dis-assembly. Dis-assembly/assembly sheet came with part. Process took about 1 hour in total, and this included cleaning the surrounding counter area, and cleaning out the crumbs/detritus from the cooktop innards.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:28:42 PM(UTC)
Gene

Thank you for this very helpful information. We are glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.
jdk  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 10:02:45 AM(UTC)
jdk

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for this very helpful information. We are glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.

Hi Gene, I have a flickering red burner light on the lower right side of a
JEC9530ADB stove top so I replaced the custom control kit # 12002723
at the recommendation of the appliance tech. who made a house call. I
still have the same problems; flickering light and no operating right front
element.....what part should I replace next? thanks, jdk
Gene  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 10:10:26 AM(UTC)
Gene

The solution for the problem with your stove is described in the Maytag Technical Bulletin.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for JENN-AIR JEC9530ADB | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
glacy31  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:29:41 AM(UTC)
glacy31

All,
I have a similar problem with my JEC9536BDB in the front right burner is not functioning, however I am not sure the same diagnosis would apply. I do not get a flickering, the element just does not kick on. The fan and power indicator lights do, but the heat indicator does not light up, nor does the burner itself. When the other burners turn on there is a distinct click just prior to heat that does not occur on this one no matter which mode the burner is set to ( outer or inner ). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Gene  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:18:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Your stove is a different and the new infinite switch very likely will fix the problem.

- The dual burner infinite switch Part number: AP4009110
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply