Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
noobRepairMan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:14:30 AM(UTC)
noobRepairMan

Groups: Registered

I am in desperate need of some help. Perhaps someone on here is familiar with the problem and can save me :confused:

Problem: Kenmore Stackable Washer/Dryer combo Leaking Water

Description: I'm having major leakage of water coming from the rear of the washer, the water seems to spew out continously through the rear vent holes in the back of the washer, i.e. the aluminum plate with holes. This appears to occur during a spin/rinse type cycle when the tub is full of water. It (the tub) starts moving back and forth significantly during its spin and the water starts to come out from those rear vent holes in the back.

I did a few diagnostic checks and i dont believe any of the inlet or drain hoses are the culprit, all of those are dry. the problem seems to be occuring higher up, not flowing out the bottom so I dont believe many of the seals or center post gasket are the source. additionally, the water does not leak while the tub is being filled up. and if the tub is full of water, it does not appear to leak either so i believe it is related to this spinning motion. I'm not sure if this is indicative of a pump issue or not?

I would absolutely appreciate any help!!! or suggestions :rolleyes:

Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Drags1998  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:44:09 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

I'd LOVE to help, BUT, being a Kenmore product, I MUST HAVE THE MODEL# So I can tell who built it!!!! Thanks!!!:)
noobRepairMan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:25:24 PM(UTC)
noobRepairMan

Kenmore 27in Gas Laundry Center
Sears item # 94862
Mfr. model # 9486

Kenmore 27 in. Gas Laundry Center - Reviews, Best Prices and Product Information at BizRate
Drags1998  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:18:00 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Those #'s are not the #s I need, What I need is on the washer or dryer on a small silver tag. The # will start with 110. XXXXXX or 791.XXXXX Please see if you can find it.:)
noobRepairMan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:42:17 PM(UTC)
noobRepairMan

Sears Model 417.90872990

Kenmore
Drags1998  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:08:54 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

OK, Thats built by Frigidaire, After it washes, It should pause for a few sec. Then the pump should start to pump out the water, The water should come out of the drain hose with alot of power, It should also pump down to about 1/2 tub of water BEFORE it starts to spin. I would check to make sure that the top of the tub is properly attached to the tub (there are clips that snap down over tabs on the tub, If it still leaks after you check the above, Try setting the water level switch to a lower setting, :)
noobRepairMan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:28:17 PM(UTC)
noobRepairMan

ok, so i took off the front cover and did some checks. basically during the spin cycle with the tub full of water the water starts sloshing around pretty violently. i reached around to the back area of the tub near where the snap clips are, i believe and there appears to be water shooting out around there. i believe the source of the leak is from back there around that area. i dont quite understand where exactly its coming from and it seems like an awful lot of water. when there was really low water level and it was on spin, there was no water splashing out.

adding insult to injury, now the main motor appears to have burned out, not sure if this was the original problem or due to water splashing on the motor wires, anyways i witnessed smoke coming out of it and it smelled like burning.

i've pretty much decided to get a new washer now, as i dont even know if the issues would end there.

do you believe it is still worth salvaging?
noobRepairMan  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2009 8:36:44 AM(UTC)
noobRepairMan

After reading around a bit, I'm thinking that possibly the problem is that the water was not properly draining out of the tub and therefore when spinning, the water in the tub was at too high a level causing it to splash out.

I can't get the tub to drain out whatsoever now.

additionally, something near the motor definitely was smoking last night. you can hear the hum of the motor turned on but nothing moves. do you believe this is a problem with the motor itself or a transmission issue?

I could have sworn the motor was working before though because it was spinning, there just wasnt any drainage. One other question, is the tub supposed to be empty of water when it does the spin cycle? this could be my problem. now i have another problem though with the smoking motor, not sure if this happened from water splashing out the tub and contacting something back there.
Drags1998  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2009 12:27:55 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

I guess to be honest with you, If its over 10 yrs old, get rid of it. If not, I would have a pro look at it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply