Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GaryS  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:38:21 AM(UTC)
GaryS

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore 106.50593003 (Whirlpool) Side by Side. The freezer started getting warm enough last week to allow the ice in the icemaker bin on the door to partially melt, although the items on the lower shelves were still frozen. I checked the door seals, cleaned the coils beneath the refrigerator, and adjusted the freezer thermostat to its coldest position. The next day the freezer was warmer and the refrigerator was now not as cold as it had been. I pulled the panel off the inside of the freezer to make sure the defrost drain was not clogged and found it was clear. The freezer evaporator coil was iced over so I removed the ice with a hair dryer. This did nothing to improve either the refrigerator or freezer performance. The freezer evaporator coil has now begun to ice back up. Any help on what to do next would be greatly appreciated. Regards, GaryS
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kooler  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:34:35 AM(UTC)
kooler

Groups: Senior Expert

Locate the defrost control in the refrigerator and find out how to manually adjust the timer into a defrost... This control will have a small knob that turns clockwise only or a pentip-sized button to electronically start the defrost cycle... I'm not all familiar with the newer electronic controls... With the system in defrost and the rear inside cover of freezer removed observe defrost heater for getting hot... If not, you will need a volt/ohm meter to check the heater element and the bimetal t-stat for power and continuity... If you don't know how to do this procedure then you'll need a pro to check these parts... If you can determine the element and defrost end t-stat are not defective then one can assume the timer is not timing correctly... Part numbers: Heater - 2188175 Bi-metal t-stat - 2169155 Timer - 4388932
APP should be able to provide these parts... Hope this helps or extra advice can be passed on... cheers, kooler