Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BYmechanic  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 3:30:23 AM(UTC)
BYmechanic

Groups: Registered

Hi I have a GE profile PFS22MBS refrigerator which had been experiencing wide temperature fluctuations for a couple of weeks. On Tues the top fridge compartment went up to 74 and the freezer to 24. The fan was not running. I replaced the control board and the fan now runs and the freezer is down to 15 indicated - zero by thermometer at the very bottom - but the top fridge is still at 74. Any ideas what to do next? Besides go shopping, I mean I don' have a schematic or parts diagram.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

BYmechanic  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 4:04:09 AM(UTC)
BYmechanic

Originally Posted by: BYmechanic Go to Quoted Post
Hi I have a GE profile PFS22MBS refrigerator which had been experiencing wide temperature fluctuations for a couple of weeks. On Tues the top fridge compartment went up to 74 and the freezer to 24. The fan was not running. I replaced the control board and the fan now runs and the freezer is down to 15 indicated - zero by thermometer at the very bottom - but the top fridge is still at 74. Any ideas what to do next? Besides go shopping, I mean I don' have a schematic or parts diagram.

update - evaporator fan not running. don't know why
richappy  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 10:28:50 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
For problems like an evaporator motor not running, I always recommend (for the motherboard refrigerators) to replace the motor AP3855880 and the motherboard at the same time. A bad fan motor will blow out the driver on the motherboard, so now you need to replace both items!
BYmechanic  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 11:46:50 AM(UTC)
BYmechanic

Hi - I agree in hindsight. However, the motor has 1646 ohms w to r so its not shorted. No burned resistors on the old or new board. I applied 12v and it did nothing.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 1:41:55 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Check the voltage to the evaporator fan motor as described in one of our previous threads: http://forum.appliancepartspros...or-test-replacement.html

Gene.
BYmechanic  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:06:52 AM(UTC)
BYmechanic

OK - I checked the voltages and got 12V or so on red-white but nothing on yellow-white. I connected the motor wires to a 12V source (yellow & red to +, white to -) and it ran. The board is new and the motor was not shorted so unless the board was defective when I got it then it should be ok - right? I found a good document on GE Electronic Refrigerator Diagnostics but it does not describe the logic used by the board to control fans so I'm not sure where to look next - tonight I plan to check the thermisters. Any more sage advice would be appreciated.

Ross

PS I bought a new fridge so the pressure's off. I did run it for a few days by putting a small fan in place of the ev fan running continuously
Gene  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:57:55 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Ross,

It would not surprise me if the new control board is defective. Try to exchange it under the part warranty.

Gene.
BYmechanic  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:53:29 AM(UTC)
BYmechanic

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Ross,

It would not surprise me if the new control board is defective. Try to exchange it under the part warranty.

Gene.

Thanks for all your help Gene. I checked thermisters & then put the fan motor back in and it's working perfectly. I'm guessing that there was a bad connection - the pins looked a bit corroded.

For anyone with similar problems here is a link to some good info: http://www.geservicenet.com/cc/...rator_AC_Diagnostics.pdf
#9 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2022 5:25:10 AM(UTC)

United States

Hello I have a PFE29PSDESS I AM HAVING ISSUES with bottom drawer freezing. I have replaced the evaporator fan that works fine now .also replaced the damper fan. It still freezes up. I can c the EVAP fan working but I don't know if damper is. What else could be wrong? Do I need the defrost wire? And where is that. Thank you.
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2024 4:31:49 PM(UTC)

United States

I have a practicaly new fridge not cooling correctly spoiled yougurt condensation on cheesecake help
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply