Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tboss  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:07:19 AM(UTC)
tboss

Groups: Registered

I am new to the forum so bear with me here .With out being able to find the make or model no of my furnace it is total elect and is not a heat pump, what could cause the blower motor to slow down.( the only thing I can find on the blower is the name BQ the model number is stamped in ink and is smuged out it looks like BD1817 ) Im sorry thats all the info I can give you. The furnace is a 1976 vintage and I think the blower motor has been changed at least once and It could be a generic brand. The heat cycle works fine and heats the house as it always has altho a little slower. I have a regular thermostat with none of the controls except heat and cool /auto / on . The motor seemes to run as normal except it just dont run as fast as it did for the 4 yrs we have been living here. I know the info is not much help here but I thought maby someone has had this same problem. Tks tboss PS the filters are new.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2009 12:52:33 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Check the motor bushings for play. If ok, your motor is probably a 3 speed and one of the internal windings shorted causing slow speed. Also check the run capacitor, may be shorted or just bad.
If the motor is getting full voltage while running, probably best to get a new motor.
tboss  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2009 3:37:54 AM(UTC)
tboss

Rich tks for the come back the motor has abt 8 wires coming from the motoer housing so I think your rite its 3 speed and it has dropped one of the high speed windings Do you think it will be alrite to run it this way for a while as the budget dont allow a new fan motor at this time. It heats the house just fine. Tks agn Terry:confused:
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2009 6:00:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

For safety reasons, it's best to check the current draw and compare it to the nameplate rating. These are small horsepower motors, so a guess would be 4 amps on the common lead, usually white. The belly band is probably hiding the printing on the motor so it makes it difficult to check. A dumb rule is if the motor housing is not too hot, it's probably ok.
Again, if it where my motor, I would put a new one in and make sure your smoke detectors have new batteries.
Without the cfm airflow, you are wasting energy as the heater will have to run longer to heat the area.
icehouse  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2009 1:22:33 PM(UTC)
icehouse

If your motor was running fine and just started to slow down, clean the blower and lubricate the motor.
The only way it can change to a slower speed is by a switching action. :)
richappy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:32:21 AM(UTC)
richappy

I assumed it was running for a few days like that, if so, the bearings are in bad shape if they ran out of oil. Hopefully, it has a tube that allows oiling both bearings.
tboss  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:13:46 AM(UTC)
tboss

well it looks Im gonna have to call a repair man to service the heat unit. The fan finally quit all together .but I need to check some numbers here to see if Im ketting ripped off,The last time I had a service man out to see why the fan in the outside unit had quit turning it cost me 385.00 for him to replace the start/run condensor. He charged me 168.00 for the condinser and the balance to replace it which took all of 15 mins. Now I think 168.00 is kinda high for a condensor and his service charge was 75.00 so that left 142.00 for the 15 mins to replace it. He knew what was wrong with the unit as soo as he turned it on as he said to me its the condensor. Now should I look for a new service man or is that abt rite for this kind of ser and repair. tks for the help fellers terry
tboss  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:17:21 AM(UTC)
tboss

BTW I forgot to say the fan motor turns very freely with NO resistance and could the capacitor be the problem and how can I test ?? tks terry
icehouse  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:51:03 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Yes. Check the capacitor with an ohmmeter. It should rise and slowly decline if good. :)
richappy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:55:26 AM(UTC)
richappy

Make sure there is no lateral play in the bushings, usually on the blower side. That will make the motor run slow.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply