Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
morrismomma  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:18:16 PM(UTC)
morrismomma

Groups: Registered

My Whirlpool garbage disposal leaks from the bottom sometimes. It is not a lot of water but it seems to leak from the reset button. Is this something that can be fixed or does the disposal need to be replaced? It is only 6 1/2 years old. What is the life expectancy of a disposal? If it needs to be replaced, any recommendations? Another Whirlpool?
Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

beenthereagain  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:28:01 PM(UTC)
beenthereagain

Groups: Expert

I have not seen a disposer leak from the bottom before, if that is the case then it is time for a new one.

could the water be leaking from elsewhere and trickling down the back to the bottom where it just looks like it is coming from there?
morrismomma  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 4:21:51 AM(UTC)
morrismomma

I double checked, and yes the disposal is leaking from the reset button. I can't find it leaking from any other place. Is there a seal that can be replaced somewhere?
Thanks
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 5:21:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
No, it is not repairable and is not worth any repair due to the price for a new like that one.

You can buy the same model (1/2 H.P.) for $84.23. They usually last 5 to 7 years. You can buy more powerful (3/4, 1.0 or even 1.1 H.P.) disposal, but it will cost about $300 and even more.

Whirlpool garbage disposals are not bad. They are comparable with In-Sink-Erator and much better than GE. Do not buy Kenmore because in that case you don't know who made it.

Gene.
morrismomma  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:16:51 PM(UTC)
morrismomma

Okay, so the disposal is still leaking. I am ready to purchase a new one. Any recommendations--I was thinking 3/4 hp to 1 hp. Any brand better than the others? Any brand junk and to be avoided at all costs?
Thanks for the input.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:00:03 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Whirlpool and Kitchen Aid make very good products as well as In-Sink-Erator. I would not buy GE garbage disposers. If you need more specific information like features and specs I would recommend to talk or live chat with the Appliance Parts Pros team.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply