Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chickenfarmer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:14:22 PM(UTC)
chickenfarmer

Groups: Registered

I am trying to get my brothers dryer working for him, and I can't seem to figure out what is causing the problem. He has an older electric dryer (not sure exactly how old it is) that is taking longer then one cycle to dry the clothes. I checked the following items.

Thermostat - measured air temp coming out of the dryer with a non contact IR thermometer which showed the tempurature from 130-175. (thermostat for this model is 130-155). I checked continuity and the thermostat is what is causing the heater to turn off around 175 and back on at 130.

thermal fuse, high temp switches, and heater have good continuity

Cleaned the vent (rigid metal vent with two 90 deg angles) as well as the blower unit of lint (which was minimal). I also ran a load through with the vent disconnect with no change in drying time.

I am drying on timed dry heat, and it is taking about 75 minutes to dry a normal load of clothes.

Their washer seems to be spinning the clothes out adaquately (I also ran a load of clothes out of my washing machine in there dryer as well with the same results)

I am at a loss as to what could be wrong with the dryer. Any suggestions on what could be wrong or what else to check?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:53:33 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Your vent temperatures look OK to me so what is left is an air flow problem.

Check that there is nothing impeding air flow into the case.
Also check the filter screen, sometimes it can get coated with fabric softener residue and greatly reduce the air flow.
Check that the hole at the back or the dryer drum are clear.
Check that all seals inside the unit and the drum are OK.

Did this unit ever run OK for him at this location?

Long shots would be to check the voltage at the unit and if you have not already done so check the heating element for grounding.
You seem to have done a very thorough job of troubleshooting so we are left with grasping at straws.
I would leave the unit disconnected from the vent system while troubleshooting just to totally eliminate it from the equation. If worried about lint in the house take a pair of pantyhose, put one leg into the other and attach this to the dryer exhaust. Leave enough room at the back so it can blow out like a windsock. This will still let you check temperature and air flow.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
chickenfarmer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:56:51 PM(UTC)
chickenfarmer

Thanks for the quick response. The filter screen would be the thing that you clean the lint off correct? (just want to make sure I am not missing checking something) I will doulble check the hole at the back of the dryer and the seals. Yes the dryer has worked fine for them at this location. Apparently about 1 year ago it started not working as well, and a few weeks ago began needed two cycles to dry. Voltage is good, and the heating element is not grounded. I saw on another post about checking the tumbler RPM's to make sure that they are 50 RPM's +/-2. Would that be something I should check as well? Are all dryers at the same speed?

thanks
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:00:25 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]RPM's to make sure that they are 50 RPM's +/-2. Would that be something I should check as well? [/COLOR]
I have nerver seen one myself or read on this forum of a motor changing speed.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Are all dryers at the same speed?[/COLOR]
This I do not know.

You could set the unit on air fluff, check the exhaust flow and then remove the belt from the motor and check it again to see if the air flow has increased.

Here is a post with a similar problem that we still have not been able to resolve but are still trying.
http://forum.appliancepartspros...2697-heat-sometimes.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Tatersalad  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 6:36:26 PM(UTC)
Tatersalad

Originally Posted by: chickenfarmer Go to Quoted Post
I am trying to get my brothers dryer working for him, and I can't seem to figure out what is causing the problem. He has an older electric dryer (not sure exactly how old it is) that is taking longer then one cycle to dry the clothes. I checked the following items.

Thermostat - measured air temp coming out of the dryer with a non contact IR thermometer which showed the tempurature from 130-175. (thermostat for this model is 130-155). I checked continuity and the thermostat is what is causing the heater to turn off around 175 and back on at 130.

thermal fuse, high temp switches, and heater have good continuity

Cleaned the vent (rigid metal vent with two 90 deg angles) as well as the blower unit of lint (which was minimal). I also ran a load through with the vent disconnect with no change in drying time.

I am drying on timed dry heat, and it is taking about 75 minutes to dry a normal load of clothes.

Their washer seems to be spinning the clothes out adaquately (I also ran a load of clothes out of my washing machine in there dryer as well with the same results)

I am at a loss as to what could be wrong with the dryer. Any suggestions on what could be wrong or what else to check?

Sorry, Thought it was a gas dryer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply