Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Edward A  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:44:07 PM(UTC)
Edward A

Groups: Registered

My oven was taking several attempts to preheat and was providing inconsistent heat once it did finally light. I did a good amount of research on the topic and felt confident that it was the igniter going bad and that I had the skills to replace it.

I bought a GE WB2X9998 flat igniter that came with 2 wire nuts and an instruction sheet. I cut off the power to the oven and followed the appropriate steps; after I put everything back together and restored the power I turned on the oven several times and each time it lit within the first minute of the 10-minute preheat cycle. Success.......for a little while!

My wife started the oven for dinner; again the gas lit up within the first minute of preheating. We did notice a funny smell and thought it must be from a recent self-cleaning or from the new part. After the 10-minute preheat cycle and about 10 minutes into cooking, the fuse housing the microwave and oven tripped. I flipped the breaker and they both came back on but the oven was no longer heating. After it cooled down, I removed the igniter to find one melted wire nut (obviously not porcelain though the instruction sheet referred to it as such); it had apparently come in contact with the back of the oven.

I cut the wires back, used porcelain wire nuts that I purchased at the local appliance parts store, and reinstalled the igniter and it wouldn't even glow. I bought a brand new igniter thinking the other one must have gotten ruined; I installed it with the porcelain wire nuts and it would not glow either.

Is there anything else I can safely do or is it time to call the repairman?

Thanks for your help........
Ed
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.