Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dskalski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 5:34:27 AM(UTC)
dskalski

Groups: Registered

I recently repaired my ice maker and cleaned the coils in back of the fridge. The next day, the freezer and fridge were warm. I checked for ice buildup (none), the defrost cycle (works), that the compressor is running (runs and is a little warm), checked that the evaporator coils get cold (they do), checked the evaporator fan (runs), and checked the compressor fan (runs). I can only assume it has lost some Freon, though I cannot imagine how. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:33:50 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Disconnect or turn off the ice maker and see what happens.

I assume the compressor runs constantly.

Here is a link, check out #20 re: the example pictures at the bottom
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
dskalski  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:46:48 AM(UTC)
dskalski

I'll try turning off the ice maker when I get home. And yes, the compressor constantly runs.

I read the article, there was one interesting part, "A ball of ice on the coils and the rest of the cooling coils are bare...". There were two sections of the evaporator coils that had ice on it. I ran the defrost cycle and they mostly went away. I figured that was normal as I had seen icing before and usually the entire thing is a block of ice.

However, a "system problem" is not well defined in the article except as to say low freon or poor compressor performance. I'm not sure why cleaning would cause this as I was very careful.

It makes sense to me that I would bump a wire while cleaning, but I cannot find anything like that.
dskalski  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 8:07:10 AM(UTC)
dskalski

Just a follow-up...

I had the repair man here this morning for 3 minutes. He listed to me and the unit and said "Go buy a new one. It is leaking freon.".

I knew that, but guess I needed to shell out $85 to hear it from the expert. It's too bad i could not get that kind of technical opinion from somewhere cheaper. I told him all the same information I presented here, he listened to the unit, and then came to the conclusion that it was leaking freon. (It makes sense as that is the only other variable. And, there is no way to check for a freon leak in a refigerator or freezer - in case you want to know. It is a closed system unlike your car's air conditioner.)

Also, a friend of mine had the exact same unit and it did the exact same thing once the thing got to be 6 or 7 years old. He just tossed it and got a new one. He saved the $85.

So, I am writing this to help any others out there - if your Frigidaire fridge starts to get warm and all the parts are working normal - its a freon leak. Save the $85 toward a new fridge.

Good luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply