Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johndw  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 6:29:32 PM(UTC)
johndw

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Profile (freestanding electric glass top=type) range and the door to the oven is stuck locked. It happened when I started a clean cycle, and changed my mind after a few minutes (as I thought I should take the racks out first) and cancelled it. The cleaning cycle was successfully cancelled before the oven even got hot, but the oven door stayed locked. The stove top works fine, as does the clock.

I have looked around online extensively and found some ideas (turn off the power and wait and turn it back one, try to rerun a clean cycle (but it won't start a clean cycle now and the display indicates "DOOR" in big letters and beeps after a few seconds, so I assume it senses that something is wrong with the door lock). I have found nothing for my model that seems relevant. I think perhaps I need to find the door lock motor and test, reset? or replace it, but don't know where it is.

There are some schematic drawings of all the parts online here and elsewhere, however, the door lock motor is a diagram all by itself and I dont know where within the oven it is located or how to access it or if that is what I should be looking at to resolve the problem at all.

Any direction or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much, John
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fwhitee  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 5:59:04 PM(UTC)
fwhitee

did you figure out how to fix this problem??? The same thing happened to me
johndw  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 6:52:48 PM(UTC)
johndw

Hi, I did actually figure it out. It ended up being solved by holding down some combination of the buttons on the control panel. I am pretty sure it was two but I suppose it could have been three. I know that isn't a lot of help, but I will tell you what I remember... I ended up searching extensively through this and maybe other similar forums and found a hint in terms of there being two (possibly 3) buttons held down simultaneously that ended up causing the door lock motor to spin on it's own outside of starting a clean cycle. The thread that gave me this info was not for my model but for another model number and I think that the buttons described were not even the ones that ended up working. I think "clean" might have been one of them and the other was not a number and not the light .... maybe "clean" and "clock" or "clean" and "start" or "timer" or other and maybe not "clean" at all. I had to hold down two simultaneously for maybe 10 to 30 seconds together. I know that this is not much to go on but... it was something like that so don't bother taking the oven door apart or anything like that, just maybe keep searching online looking for some similar info that describes pressing the buttons or else patiently press and wait a bunch of combos as I think it took some number of seconds of holding first before it started working. Also, my oven door had got stuck closed with the door not quite shut all the way, so when the motor started spinning, I had to push the door in tight in order to have the latch line up properly to be allowed to open. At first I could just hear activity in the area of the door lock but it didn't open, then I figured out that my door was not aligned properly to let the latch open. I hope this helps you to at least be hopeful and not waste time trying to take apart the oven or call a repairman but with patience you can maybe find it. I can look around a bit later and see if I can find what I started with. I feel for you as I was soooo frustrated when this happened and did not want to pay to have it fixed so well, let me know if you have luck as I wish you lots of it. I will post again with any new info I can find once I have a look if I saved any info on my computer about it or if I can find what I found before. Sincerely, Melinda

read this through, http://www.fixya.com/support/t3...d_flashing_ge_oven_jtp15

the first solution (by Elmer Vest) offered suggests that there is a "list of unlock and safety combination" in the owners manual
fwhitee  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:41:41 AM(UTC)
fwhitee

thanks so much i will start looking to see if i can figure it out! your help is and was greatly appreciated!
SamHanna  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:32:57 PM(UTC)
SamHanna

Hold down the clock and stop at the same time....I started trying different options after reading the posts.... the clock and stop worked:)
johndw  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:55:23 PM(UTC)
johndw

Thanks Sam, I am writing this down and taping this info to the back of my oven in case I ever need it again.
Drosi  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:47:32 AM(UTC)
Drosi

Hello,

I had the same problem. Our oven locked though the door was open. Another website offered the solution to hold down the light switch (on the left hand side of the oven once you open the door) and then hit the clear off or stop button. This worked right away for us.
Quirshi  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:45:26 PM(UTC)
Quirshi

Originally Posted by: Drosi Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I had the same problem. Our oven locked though the door was open. Another website offered the solution to hold down the light switch (on the left hand side of the oven once you open the door) and then hit the clear off or stop button. This worked right away for us.

Thank you for posting this! Searching all over for an hour and trying many things. This finally worked for us, so thanks!!
Tazadeh  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:40:45 PM(UTC)
Tazadeh

I had a problem with the door not closing after cleaning the oven. Came across your posts in an attempt to get info to fix it. The cancel button and holding down the light switch worked!! Thanks for saving me a repair bill.
Doctorsnorky  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 1, 2015 4:51:48 AM(UTC)
Doctorsnorky

Originally Posted by: Drosi Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

This worked for me! Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply