Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jpaul18535  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:32:26 PM(UTC)
jpaul18535

Groups: Registered

Any help would be appreciated. My freezer is not cooling, the frig is fine and is at the correct temp. I bought quite a bit of food to be frozen today, wrapped it and place it in the freezer. The freezer temp went up to 6, I didn't think much of it because of all the opening and closing I was doing. I notice it kept getting a little warmer where now it is at 21 degrees. Taking a good look, I noticed what looked like crystal type ice sheets on the bottom of the freezer. Reached in and it was real flakey, about 1/8" thick and 14" x 12" area. This is right in the middel of the bottom.

Being a typical guy, I tasted it. Very bitter and not cold at all. I cleaned it up, cleaned around all the edges/seals and put the system in "turbo" mode. The freezer was at 19 when I put in turbo mode and now it is at 21.

I checked the fan and coils, they are both clean (I cleand them both last month).

Is the white stuff coolent? Any idea what going on? I just put $100 plus worth of meat in the freezer today....

Help please.

JP
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jpaul18535  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:05:49 PM(UTC)
jpaul18535

Groups: Registered

Okay, after my wife asked what I was doing with the frig, I explained the white powder and freezer not cooling. She said one of her ice packs had a hole in it and leaked. I'm betting that is what the powder stuff is.

Trying to save my new investment in meat, I pulled the frig out from the wall and placed my hand by the vent, by the compressor. A lot of heat. Took the back panel off, can't even touch the compressor for more than a second, very, very hot. Pulled the box fan out and have it blowing on the compressor and coils. I have dropped a degree but seem to be steady at 20 degrees. The fan blades and coils are clean/clear.

Any thoughts? Should I unplug the frig and let it set for a while to cool off?

Thanks again,

JP
richappy  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 1:36:16 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Seems like the compressor has overheated due to sucking in non-compressables due to an evaporator leak, unless I am missing something.
Verify the compressor is running by checking the condenser coils, should be very warm all over.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply