Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jake1916  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:51:38 PM(UTC)
jake1916

Groups: Registered

Our gas dryer has in the last month or so started getting a blackish film inside that is ruining our clothes. Help me please!!
David
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 7:03:05 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jake1916 Go to Quoted Post
Our gas dryer has in the last month or so started getting a blackish film inside that is ruining our clothes. Help me please!!
David

David,

A couple of possibilities,

Have you had a change in the gas supply to the dryer, or house ?
What about, construction, painting, or fireplace or candle usage ?
The air in the dryer (when it's running) is from the room, drawn over the flame and heated, then enters the drum to dry the clothes, if there is, soot, smoke,or certain chemicals in the room air,it will enter the drum and discolor the clothes.
An improper fuel/air mixture at the gas valve, can also create a simillar effect.
It could also be a chemical build up on the drum and bulkheads, quite often, caused by fabric softner and fabric softner sheets. You can usually clean the drum with a mild abrasive cleaner(soft scrubb, bon ami, etc.)

Hope this was helpful,

Thanks,
:) :) :)
jake1916  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 6:14:37 PM(UTC)
jake1916

Groups: Registered

Thanks Joe for your quick response! I was thinking along the lines of the gas and air mixture myself. Not that I am a appliance tech I am not but I have worked on many old school muscle cars and if they were running rich you had black sooty pipes and plugs. But actually what I am guessing happened is we had a terrible cold, and freezing winter in eastern NC. The worst my 55 years can remember. I took the dryer apart and it was just about stopped up with lint that had gotten so hot it looked and felt like steel wool (very scary thought huh) I think the louvers on the outside of the house must have gotten froze up and the lint built its self up on the inside of the louvers which made them so heavy they would not open correctly and you know the rest of the story. Two good things came from this the house didn't burn down and now I know how to make my own steel wool !!! Do you think maybe this is in fact what happened? Thanks again! I will be changing from the louvers to something different if it is made tomorrow!!

David
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 6:04:37 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jake1916 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Joe for your quick response! I was thinking along the lines of the gas and air mixture myself. Not that I am a appliance tech I am not but I have worked on many old school muscle cars and if they were running rich you had black sooty pipes and plugs. But actually what I am guessing happened is we had a terrible cold, and freezing winter in eastern NC. The worst my 55 years can remember. I took the dryer apart and it was just about stopped up with lint that had gotten so hot it looked and felt like steel wool (very scary thought huh) I think the louvers on the outside of the house must have gotten froze up and the lint built its self up on the inside of the louvers which made them so heavy they would not open correctly and you know the rest of the story. Two good things came from this the house didn't burn down and now I know how to make my own steel wool !!! Do you think maybe this is in fact what happened? Thanks again! I will be changing from the louvers to something different if it is made tomorrow!!

David

David,

You're correct on all counts.

I had a feeling it was something like that.
Once you clean up everything you'll be fine.

Sounds like you're an "old schooler" too.
Get a metal 4" dryer vent hood / with a flapper, not a whole lot to go wrong there.

Good Luck,
:D :D :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply