Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jackhammer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:20:00 AM(UTC)
jackhammer

Groups: Registered

Fridge blew GFCI. Checked connections and tore panel from inside freezer and moved wires around and it worked fine. I turned the defrost timer back around to start defrost and it blew GFCI again. With the heater element unplugged it won't trip it. The bimetal is still hooked up. Does this sound like I need a new heater or could it be the defrost timer that is shorting?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:44:24 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jackhammer Go to Quoted Post
Fridge blew GFCI. Checked connections and tore panel from inside freezer and moved wires around and it worked fine. I turned the defrost timer back around to start defrost and it blew GFCI again. With the heater element unplugged it won't trip it. The bimetal is still hooked up. Does this sound like I need a new heater or could it be the defrost timer that is shorting?

Jackhammer,

Based on your post description,

You could have a shorted heater element,

Part number: AP2990875
Part number: AP2990875

Or more likely a shorted wire, from the thermostat to the heater or the other wire from the heater to the wire harness connector.

If you have a multi meter, you'd be looking for a closed circuit across the 2 wire terminals for the heater and each terminal wire for a closed circuit to chassis ground.

You are on the right track, good job.

:) :) :)
leff_robert  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:33:11 PM(UTC)
leff_robert

Groups: Registered

Remove the GFI out of the circuit first. Set a test by runnig a good extension cord to the refrig first for a tempory test your problem is outside the frig. Whoever wired a GFI in the circuit did not know what they were doing, consult a electrician if it makes you wonder. GFI's are used around water for safety and are designed to trip easy. Ask the master electrician at a home depot for help to rewire your circuit after your testing for a couple comes back OK. He also will tell you not to have a GFI in the circuit for the fridgerator.
Good Luck
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:44:00 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: leff_robert Go to Quoted Post
Remove the GFI out of the circuit first. Set a test by runnig a good extension cord to the refrig first for a tempory test your problem is outside the frig. Whoever wired a GFI in the circuit did not know what they were doing, consult a electrician if it makes you wonder. GFI's are used around water for safety and are designed to trip easy. Ask the master electrician at a home depot for help to rewire your circuit after your testing for a couple comes back OK. He also will tell you not to have a GFI in the circuit for the fridgerator.
Good Luck

Leff,

Thanks, You're correct on all counts, but building codes are different, in different areas, I wanted to eliminate the fridge as the problem,first.

Thanks,
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply