Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kord78  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 9:10:45 AM(UTC)
kord78

Groups: Registered

OK, I think I killed my freezer :(

So I have modified a new freezer I bought - yep, voided the warranty - to be what is called a "keezer". Look it up, you'll get a chuckle out of it. I am a homebrewer and in need of this thing. Anyway, one of the modifications I made was to interrupt the flow of power into the system; the interruption was done with a Ranco thermostat. The temp prob for the Ranco was run inside the empty cooler and the lid was closed. I set the Ranco thermostat for 38 degrees (with a 1 degree differential) and plugged everything in. The freezer began working fine. The next morning I woke up to find that the freezer was no longer cold and the system was not working.

So, here is the symptoms with the Ranco removed:

- When plugged in the compressor starts to hum slightly and if you put your hand on it you can feel it vibrating. After about 20 seconds a loud click sounds and then nothing. After about a minute or so it starts this process all over again.

What I have done thus far:

- Replaced the controller on the system
- Replaced the capacitor on the system
- Bypassed the rheostat with a jumper so that power was on.

So, is my compressor the culprit or did I miss something else? Did I short cycle this thing to death seeing as the freezer was empty and the on/off differential trigger was set to 1 degree? Can I unfreeze a compressor with a hammer - k, that was just my irritation talking there :(

Thank you in advance for any help/incite you can offer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:00:01 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kord78 Go to Quoted Post
OK, I think I killed my freezer :(

So I have modified a new freezer I bought - yep, voided the warranty - to be what is called a "keezer". Look it up, you'll get a chuckle out of it. I am a homebrewer and in need of this thing. Anyway, one of the modifications I made was to interrupt the flow of power into the system; the interruption was done with a Ranco thermostat. The temp prob for the Ranco was run inside the empty cooler and the lid was closed. I set the Ranco thermostat for 38 degrees (with a 1 degree differential) and plugged everything in. The freezer began working fine. The next morning I woke up to find that the freezer was no longer cold and the system was not working.

So, here is the symptoms with the Ranco removed:

- When plugged in the compressor starts to hum slightly and if you put your hand on it you can feel it vibrating. After about 20 seconds a loud click sounds and then nothing. After about a minute or so it starts this process all over again.

What I have done thus far:

- Replaced the controller on the system
- Replaced the capacitor on the system
- Bypassed the rheostat with a jumper so that power was on.

So, is my compressor the culprit or did I miss something else? Did I short cycle this thing to death seeing as the freezer was empty and the on/off differential trigger was set to 1 degree? Can I unfreeze a compressor with a hammer - k, that was just my irritation talking there :(

Thank you in advance for any help/incite you can offer.

Kord,

Based on your description and parts you've replaced, You've "cooked" the compressor( I presume you mean the compressor start device, as the controller on the system).

I think I know what you're attempting to do, and a small refrigerator would serve the purpose more adequately, than a freezer.

Good Luck,

:( :( :(
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:25:05 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your differential was set too low on the Ranco control. This caused the compressor to try and re-start before the system pressures stabilized, resulting in high current re-starts that eventually burned out the start winding.
As Joe suggested, what you need is a chiller, a small refrigerator with a special constant differential control that will keep the fridg around 40 degrees.
A GC-500 series control GC505 will regulate around 40 degrees, a universal replacement that comes as a kit. Using this control in a "Normal" refrigerator will convert it to a chiller.